Raid 10 vs Multiple SSD's

chonk

Feb 28, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,
I have some concerns about data safety on cPanel.

I have 4x512GB SSD's. I can use them with RAID 10 array or mounting them as /home2, /home3/ home4.

Question is, if I use them as /home2, /home3 if one of the drives fails, what is going to be happen? I will surely gonna lost accounts who are in /home2 folder in that situatation. But if I have backups of all accounts, will there be an easy way to restore only what is lost on /home2?

Should I go with multiple SSD drives or making them RAID 10? What do you suggest?

RadWebHosting

May 6, 2016
Dallas, Texas
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
RAID 10 is advisable for redundancy (failover) and for added performance. Depending on your chassis and motherboard, you can probably squeeze an HDD or two into your configuration, as well.

Adding an HDD (Spinning disk) at /backup or similar is a nice way to maximize SSD disk storage by keeping all backup files on the HDD.

24x7server

Apr 17, 2013
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hi,

More the complex you go in more the chances of going towards disaster failure.

I would suggest you go with Simple RAID-1 array one one set of disk and second RAID-1 array on second set of disk, and you can mount them separately if you want or you can create a LVM partition from both of them if you want and mount it..