Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raid 10 vs Multiple SSD's

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by chonk, Apr 28, 2017.

1. chonk

chonk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,
    I have some concerns about data safety on cPanel.

I have 4x512GB SSD's. I can use them with RAID 10 array or mounting them as /home2, /home3/ home4.

Question is, if I use them as /home2, /home3 if one of the drives fails, what is going to be happen? I will surely gonna lost accounts who are in /home2 folder in that situatation. But if I have backups of all accounts, will there be an easy way to restore only what is lost on /home2?

Should I go with multiple SSD drives or making them RAID 10? What do you suggest?

2. RadWebHosting

RadWebHosting Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    RAID 10 is advisable for redundancy (failover) and for added performance. Depending on your chassis and motherboard, you can probably squeeze an HDD or two into your configuration, as well.

Adding an HDD (Spinning disk) at /backup or similar is a nice way to maximize SSD disk storage by keeping all backup files on the HDD.

3. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

More the complex you go in more the chances of going towards disaster failure.

I would suggest you go with Simple RAID-1 array one one set of disk and second RAID-1 array on second set of disk, and you can mount them separately if you want or you can create a LVM partition from both of them if you want and mount it..

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator