jortiz565

Oct 31, 2012
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

I just have a quick question. We are working with dell powerredge r710 server with 6 trays for 3.5" drives. We want to know what is the best way to optimize any array on it.

I'm thinking to use raid 5 with 4 drives and raid 1 with 2ssd for mysql or two raid 1, one for mysql and the other for client is data and OS.

Any suggstions?

In the past(without raid) we have a lot of issue with i/o wait. So, O just want to configure this server as best as possible. We use these server for reseller hosting and shared hosting.

The server specs are;
2x5520 xeon
48gb ram
Perc6i or h700

Thanks in advance!

vanessa

PartnerNOC
Sep 26, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Part of this would depend on the size/speed of the spinning media. I would suggest 10K or faster, the first 4 drives in RAID 5 or RAID 10 (if you have space to spare - RAID 10 is much faster), then the other two drives in RAID 1. That's a pretty common setup.

However, if costs allow, you may want to consider going all-SSD, and doing RAID 6.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

I have moved this thread to the "Optimization" forum. Feel free to update us with the outcome after implementing new drives should you decide to take that route.

Thank you.