Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

RAID1 + cPanel backup (3 HDDs) -- how-to?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by basic, Nov 6, 2009.

1. basic

basic Active Member

Hello All:

We have a new powerful server (Linux, CentOS) with cPanel.
    The server has 3 hard drives.
    I would like to set it up, so that the primary HDD is mirrored using RAID1 (*software RAID* -- no hardware RAID) on HDD-2. And I want to use HDD-3 for regular backups using the internal cPanel backup function.

Can anyone help me with a short HOW-TO to set this up. At this point I only know that I have to enable RAID1 in the server's bios.

Thank you.

John

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. basic

basic Active Member

Did some research, in the meantime.

If I understand this correct (?), then the Linux CentOS 5.x installer program can install Level 1 RAID *without* the activation of software RAID in the server's bios!! (E.g. our SuperMicro Servers allow Intel based [for Windows OS] and Adapetc [for Linux] software raid setups in the bios -- but these should not be enabled.)

The CentOS 5.2 setup guide for RAID1 starts here (about 7 pages if printed -- easy to follow):
    http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Deployment_Guide/s2-raid-software-raid.html

What confuses me is another guide, also referring to CentOS 5.x, that shows another method:
    http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5

I do not understand why this method B would be necessary if the CentOS 5 install program does it all? Anyone understands and can explain it?
    Thanks.

John

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 basic, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009