The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAID1 + cPanel backup (3 HDDs) -- how-to?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by basic, Nov 6, 2009.

1. basic

basic Active Member

Hello All:

We have a new powerful server (Linux, CentOS) with cPanel.
    The server has 3 hard drives.
    I would like to set it up, so that the primary HDD is mirrored using RAID1 (*software RAID* -- no hardware RAID) on HDD-2. And I want to use HDD-3 for regular backups using the internal cPanel backup function.

Can anyone help me with a short HOW-TO to set this up. At this point I only know that I have to enable RAID1 in the server's bios.

Thank you.

John

2. basic

basic Active Member

Did some research, in the meantime.

If I understand this correct (?), then the Linux CentOS 5.x installer program can install Level 1 RAID *without* the activation of software RAID in the server's bios!! (E.g. our SuperMicro Servers allow Intel based [for Windows OS] and Adapetc [for Linux] software raid setups in the bios -- but these should not be enabled.)

The CentOS 5.2 setup guide for RAID1 starts here (about 7 pages if printed -- easy to follow):
    http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Deployment_Guide/s2-raid-software-raid.html

What confuses me is another guide, also referring to CentOS 5.x, that shows another method:
    http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5

I do not understand why this method B would be necessary if the CentOS 5 install program does it all? Anyone understands and can explain it?
    Thanks.

John

#2 basic, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009