The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

raising the MaxRequestWorkers

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by dzamanakos, Jun 21, 2016.

1. dzamanakos

dzamanakos Active Member

Feb 15, 2014
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi, just got this message in my apache log :
    [mpm_worker:error] [pid 13825:tid 139805119400000] AH00287: server is within MinSpareThreads of MaxRequestWorkers, consider raising the MaxRequestWorkers setting

I'm using the defaults (Server Limit, Max Request Workers etc) in apache configuration.

Should i raise the MaxRequestWorkers only, or the Server Limit too?

My system uses 32gb of ram, about 20-25gb is buff/cached right now, mysql is set with :
    [OK] Maximum reached memory usage: 9.6G (30.60% of installed RAM)
    [OK] Maximum possible memory usage: 19.9G (63.57% of installed RAM)

Thank you,
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

You can browse to "WHM » Service Configuration » Apache Configuration » Global Configuration" in order to increase the "Max Request Workers" limit. Per it's description, this directive sets the limit on the number of simultaneous requests that will be served. This interface allows up to the value of the ServerLimit setting, thus you must also increase the ServerLimit setting so it's at least the same value as the "Max Request Workers" limit.

Thank you.
  3. kdean

kdean Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually for Worker and Event MPMs, MaxRequestWorkers can and should Exceed the ServerLimit because in those configurations MaxRequestWorkers is measured in threads and ServerLimit is processes where ServerLimit x ThreadsPerChild = MaxRequestWorkers. The Global Configuration interface only calculates correctly for Prefork and just gets in the way when doing Worker and Event due to it's incorrect requirement of the serverlimit.

I detailed more about this and how to workaround it in this post:

Using 'Global Configuration' for MPM Worker

There was talk about needing a feature request for this, but it's really a bug that should be fixed. For some reason it's never acknowledged.