The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ramification of Changing Hostname

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurtBrown, Mar 22, 2011.

1. BurtBrown

BurtBrown Registered

I registered with Hostgator for a VPS account using one domain that I own, I will use example.com and an example.

I am starting to transfer my other domains from my shared account (also at HostGator) to my VPS I would like to change the hostname to one of the other domains I own, as an example xyz.com.

I see how to change the name in the WHM interface, but I am wondering if there are any potential pitfalls or negative consequences to changing hostname.

In short if I change hostname from example.com to xyz.com will it have a negative impact on the server. I cannot foresee anything specific, but I want to see what others thought.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The server's hostname should match the PTR record for the IP on the machine. Also, the hostname should not be a domain being used by an account but a subdomain on a domain on the machine, so server.example.com would be a good hostname and server.xyz.com would be a good hostname.

To find the IP's PTR record, you can do:

Code:
    dig -x IP# +short
    Where IP# would be replaced by the server's IP number. If the name you want to use is not what is the current PTR for the IP, then please ask your hosting provider to set the PTR record to the new hostname before changing it.

As for pitfalls, other than the PTR record, I cannot think of any consequences of changing the hostname.

3. BurtBrown

BurtBrown Registered

Great, thank you. I should have been more clear, I do know that I need to use a third level domain as well as changing the DNS entries. I was more concerned with how WHM and cPanel interacted. I have never used WHM and only used cPanel from a reseller perspective, so I am not familiar with how WHM interacts with the underlying server. I just wanted to cover my bases before making any changes that could cost me a good deal of time to correct.

Thanks again,
    B

4. luigidelgado

luigidelgado Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Tristan,

Hi. I am about to standarize all hostnames from our servers... I was reading this and other posts... I checked one of our USA servers PTR and... it doesn't match with the hostname. We have had no issues at all, its the first time I check this info.

The strange part is that the PTR in that of the hostname of another server we have in Mexico that works as a nameserver for this one. How come?

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It isn't possible to answer the question as to why a poorly setup hostname didn't cause issues for email services. First of all, it is possible it did cause consequences with email being sent back by some providers and this wasn't noticed. Second, it is possible that some blacklists had the machine on it at some point and this wasn't noticed.

I do know that I accidentally set my hostname to an IP number rather than a fully qualified domain name (server.domain.com) once and I got placed onto a blacklist where my emails were all being rejected for a 48 hour timeperiod until I fixed the hostname. Given the fact of my own experiences with my own machines and with customer machines for the importance of the hostname, mail HELO and PTR records matching, it would be irresponsible of me to state that it doesn't matter that your hostname (or more precisely the mail HELO sent by your machine) match your PTR record. In the long run, though, it is up to you to make the decision if you want to follow the guidelines that many email providers expect to allow email traffic from a machine without either placing those emails in the spam box or rejecting them.

6. atodea

atodea Member

I am about to change the hostname too.
    The "server" subdomain must have an A entry or is it just a random name? (Main >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone)
    Thanks!

7. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The hostname must have an A record. You will receive a warning message from cPanel if it does not.

If, for example, you choose the hostname server.example.com, you must also have an A record for server in the DNS zone for example.com.

8. atodea

atodea Member

Thank you!