The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random CPPOP failures.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ericgregory, Jun 23, 2004.

1. ericgregory

ericgregory Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If anyone happens to be running into random CPPOP failures, please do the following:

Go into "Tweak Settings" and uncheck "Attempt to prevent pop3 connection floods"

Also, this has been taken care of in the latest EDGE build and will trickle down to the STABLE and RELEASE builds shortly.

Thanks Very Much

Eric Gregory
    cPanel, Inc.

2. largolam

largolam Active Member

Is there any way to get the new version of cppop seperately, ahead of time?

We dont want to disable the limit on pop3, we want it to work as it is supposed to.

We also dont look forward to cpanel releasing a new 'edge' as 'stable' in order to fix this.

We want to fix the bug, in the *CURRENT* 'stable' version. without picking up other new features (and bugs)

Seems like it would be simple to just post a download link so that we can resolve this now instead of waiting and having to tell customers that cpanel hasnt fixed the bug yet.

Any chance of cpanel implementing a 'branch and trunk' development version (similar to the way FreeBSD is done), so that there can be a 'stable' branch, which continues to get security and bug fixes, but NOT new features (until they are tested in the 'development' trunk)

If FreeBSD can do it for free, I would think that cpanel.net can do it for paying customers.

3. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The new cppop binary should be in all release versions now. No need to move to Edge. Just run /scripts/updatenow followed by /scripts/upcp and you will have the new binary.
    This is really why we already have STABLE, RELEASE, CURRENT, and EDGE builds. Security fixes are propagated nearly immediately to all builds, depending upon their severity and the extent of the fix required.

4. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Uhm, I call shenanigans on that. As an example I cite the last major security update to Apache, that required an update of cPanel as well. An edge version was out the day it was discovered, and a stable version was supposed to be out 5 days later. It was more like 5 weeks until S56 came out. If that's nearly immediately in your opinion then I apologize.

5. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Call it what you like. The security fix was a major change and deserved proper testing before marking it stable. That was what I meant when I said "depending upon their severity and the extent of the fix required". Nothing works perfectly, as I'm sure you can attest.

6. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Well yea, I do use cPanel after all :)

7. AffordableHOST

Is there a seperate *branch*, so that you can apply fixes to previously released *STABLE* builds, without having to release a newer build as (so-called) 'STABLE' ? So that customers can get *just* the security fixes, without having to get new features (and new bugs) ?

From what I see, it looks like first you say (eg '45' is 'edge'.. then after 45, 46, 47, 48, who knows, you come to some number, and call it 'STABLE'. It doesnt appear to be a seperate branch.

If I am mistaken on this, perhaps cpanel needs to provide a more detailed explanation on this to its customers (posted somewhere as 'offocial documentation')

Whats even funnier, is, RIGHT NOW, as I post this, nearly THIRTY SIX HOURS after the parent was posted, I STILL get WHM news that says:

* RELEASE and STABLE users should wait until Tuesday June 8th (or when this notice is removed) to upgrade cPanel.
    ** 9.4.0 Builds 1-9 have various problems. It is strongly recommended that you do not use these builds. "

So when will this 'notice be removed' ( and some useful information or instructions posted in its place, hopefully)

8. largolam

largolam Active Member

I notice that at http://layer2.cpanel.net/ there is an indication that '9.4.1-STABLE_65' is the latest linux stable as of Jun 30.

Odd that this build isnt even *shown* in the changelog
    at http://layer1.cpanel.net/ChangeLog.cgi?output=html

Nor is it mentioned on the WHM news, as was noted by the previous poster.

Twould definately be nice if cpanel got its act together on timely documentation and communication with its customers.

I would suggest an announcement list that any paying customer (including those that purchase through resellers) can subscribe to, where cpanel will *actively* post timely (eg, much sooner than 3 weeks after they happen) updates and notifications regarding bugs, bug fixes, new features, broken features, 'official' manual fixes for those cases where a upcp wont work, any changes to the builds/releases, known problems.

This would go a long way towards helping cpanel customers not feel like they are sitting in the dark on this, while *their* customers scream at them about unresolved problems.