Random emails not sending first few times

scottwhittaker

Registered
Jul 25, 2019
England
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
A client has hosting and CPanel email with GoDaddy who incidentally offer no support and continually slate the CPanel system in order to push their email exchange services.

I have my own CPanel emails but with BlueHost who dont mind looking into things.

Over the last few weeks/months the client has been complaining that people weren't always receiving his emails. Sometimes he would send an email and it would arrive then he would email them again and it wouldn't. This was all very random there was no pattern to it. Sometimes he would forward the same email on to them and they still wouldn't receive it. Then he would forward the forwarded email (so basically sending the same emails 3 times) and they would receive it. This kind of rules out spam rules?

Note there are no bounce backs or rejections at all so I put it down to the receiver not checking spam etc at first. The issue then seems to have continued and we have noticed it with other people, same issue so it was a little harder to think it was them just not checking their spam folders. Note also that these are people he has emailed for years without issue previously.

Today he emailed me 6-7 times and I didn't receive a single email. A colleague of his also emailed me 3-4 times and I didn't receive a single email. Any previous problems sending emails to me must have been small if not none existing but I would go with small.

All emails were forwarded again and they didn't arrive so I asked him to send them to the email address that I use at HIS domain name. So basically these weren't leaving the server. They all arrived instantly.

Note during the day he has been emailing other people fine, some receive them, some dont. Where he notices they haven't responded he resends the email and they may get it the second or third time.

I have access to both so I can test things myself and currently I simply cannot email my own BlueHost address. I can email my Hotmail address fine though.

As I said BlueHost are good at helping and they say the emails simply aren't making it to the server. I sent one from his email address to my BlueHost and Hotmail addresses and only the Hotmail one arrived. Same email i.e addresses separated with a comma.

I can only think this might be a CPanel bug or something? GoDaddy CPanel version is 78.0.27.

Can anyone shed any light on what it might be or tell us what tests we can do?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
If the client is on shared hosting they would need to contact their provider for issues such as updating the server.

Also if they have access to cPanel only they could use the "Track Delivery" feature at cPanel>>Email>>Track Delivery to determine if the mail delivery was successful (per the server logs). If it is successful in many cases the provider they use uses a smarthost which could also be responsible for filtering some mail at the smarthost level. If everything checks out they'd need to discuss the matter further with the provider.

Basically, your options are limited based on the type of hosting they have, if they have root access to the server, we can provide more detailed steps on troubleshooting this issue.

scottwhittaker

Registered
Jul 25, 2019
England
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I strongly suspect these emails arent being sent as it is happening to multiple recipients. I currently cannot email my own email address at all. Tried numerous times today and nothing is going through but they go to Hotmail fine.

GoDaddy said updating the CPanel is done automatically and cannot be done. It seems Eximstats is not enabled either. Found a few other threads reporting this issue from this year but hardly any responses.