The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

random n00b questions

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by ghostsniper007, Mar 31, 2007.

1. ghostsniper007

1. I saw the 'Php open_basedir Tweak' in the help, but what prevents cgi/perl scripts from parsing files outside their home dir ?

2. How easy would it be if my dedicated server IP had to change?
    (what kind or modifications will I have to make?)

3. I'll be running on FreeBSD, so to upgrade lets say, PHP. Would I need to CVSUP the ports then tell cpanel to upgrade? Does cpanel use the ports or something else?

4. Like other control panels, can i make manual changes to php.ini, httpd.conf etc.. and not have the control panel overwrite them?

5. I'm a vhost cpanel reseller now but i want to get my own cpanel server, so to move my customers will i have to make a cpanel backup of each customer, ftp them to my new box, untar them in /home/ and specify the username. now, is this username their old username or their new one (if i can specify one here) ?

#1 ghostsniper007, Mar 31, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  2. david510

david510 Well-Known Member

Yes, enabling open_basedir users cannot access pages outside their home directory.

We can change the server IP through WHM easily.

We can run scripts coming with cpanel to upgrade php. No need for any modification.

You can transfer accounts through WHM using option "Transfer from remote server". Only account name and password of the remote cpanel server is needed. No need to take backup from the remote server.

3. ghostsniper007

first, thank you for the reply.

-- open_basedir takes care of php, but what about perl scripts ?

-- if I create a user/domain for example.com then need to edit the apache vhost entry manually, how will cpanel react ? will it overwrite my modifications ?

4. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

1. I dont think there is an easy means of restricting perl like that, suexec should stop people from reading things they shouldnt though.

2. cpanel shouldnt touch the additional config changes you make, i have a few custom setups on a couple of cpanel boxes

5. ghostsniper007

thanks again for the posts.

On the topic of suexec and phpsuexec:

-- suexec, if enabled, will run CGI scripts as the owner of the script file, typically the cPanel account name
    -- phpsuexec, if enabled, will run PHP scripts in the same manner as CGI scripts

but doesn't proftpd upload all it's files as the same user (nobody) because it's using virtual logins ?

6. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Nope, should be using the account name when uploading via ftp. It saves your files as nobody?

ps - if you're using proftp you might considering moving to pureftp because of an exploit awhile back...