The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random users not able to login after last cpanel update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mraberration, Feb 17, 2005.

1. mraberration

mraberration Member
    PartnerNOC

After the last cpanel update, random user accounts can not login into cpanel or whm. I can't find the similarity between the accounts that can't login but it seems as about 1/3 of the accounts are locked out from cpanel. They can login via ftp with the correct information.

I have tried the following:

Reset the users passwords.
    Suspend/Unsuspend the account.
    Upgrade/Downgrade Cpanel to all possible options.
    /scripts/fixeverything

This is really weird because the accounts are not able to login to cpanel, but can login to everywhere else, also not all accounts are affected, and the ones that are are on different plans/skins different age (new/old accounts, resellers and users...

Any help would truly be appreciated as people are starting to get pissed and I am stumped for the moment. Thanks if advance for any replies! :)

2. mraberration

mraberration Member
    PartnerNOC

In the future...

somehow, the users disappeared out of /etc/shadow so i added and change their passwords and was done!

3. webhostfreak1

webhostfreak1 Member
    PartnerNOC

Is there any follow ups to this? We've had 3 servers affected by the upgrade to the latest Current release two days ago. We downgraded to the STABLE release and still no luck. It appears 15 - 20 users of ours were removed from /etc/shadow and we're slowing sorting them out by those who have sent in trouble tickets.

This is an extremely strange problem as the users were able to login just fine before the update and then mysteriously throughout the day we started seeing users disappear from the /etc/shadow and we did not make any alterations to the server whatsoever.

Any ideas, thoughts, similar experiences?

#3 webhostfreak1, Feb 18, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2005