Randomly can't connect to the site

jojoman

Registered
Jul 1, 2019
Argentina
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello, recently I've started to help a group of friends who are stuck with their Wordpress site with cPanel installed.

The site seems to daily and randomly become inaccessible for some people and after a couple of hours they can load the page again. The thing is, it displays a message as if the site was too heavy to be loaded or the even as if the host was down, those kind of messages. I was wondering if this could have anything to do with cPanel or if it has any feature or tool I could look at to help diagnose the problem.

The owners of the site's host have said that the problem is that the plugins installed and other features have become too heavy for our current plan and that we should upgrade it or something like that, but I don't buy it. I need to see it to believe it, because it's a fairly simple portal which doesn't get many requests daily.

Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

RoseHosting

PartnerNOC
Jan 3, 2003
I believe it has nothing to do with cPanel, but you also need to provide us with more information, like: your current hosting plan, installed WordPress plugins, etc. If it's a plugin issue, you can simply rename your WordPress plugins directory, then try to access your website and activate your plugins one-by-one, you'll find the problematic one.

jojoman

Registered
Jul 1, 2019
Argentina
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hey, sorry for the absence, I've been busy with many other problems I've got going on. So it turns out that our hosting provider is currently saying that the plan we chose is too limited, but that's inconsistant with what he said initially: that we were having some trouble with a plugin that was manipulating the .htaccess file.

Since then I made a purge of useless plugins but the website is still slow and one may occasionally get the Chrome "site took too long to respond" screen and when you reach that point, it's just hours of waiting with the site down. And I can tell the site IS down because even FTP Client fails to connect (which previously didn't happen).

Every time I try to login to wp-admin to check the site's health, I get the mentioned screen and can't interact with the site for hours. We are considering switching providers, because even if what they're saying is true, ours is a pretty small site, which is currently getting less than 80 impressions a day, and every time I try to login it goes down. It just doesn't make any sense. I've checked as many cPanel tools as I could find and none indicated a lack of resources. So I'm running out of options.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the replies. I hope you all get this message and can maybe tell me what I'm missing.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hello,

Unless you are able to identify the cause of the overages on the plan and rectify them it sounds like you'll need to get a plan that suits the sites needs better. Amount of traffic doesn't necessarily indicate the resource usage of the site, plugins/coding could be responsible for heavy resource usage with a limited amount of traffic especially if it's not functioning as intended. What needs to be done in this instance is you need to identify if the latency and resource usage is a result of bad/misbehaving plugins/code or if it's legitimate.

You should be able to enable PHP error logging if you have access to cPanel>>Software>>MultiPHP INI editor by adding:

Code:
display_errors = Off
log_errors = On
error_log = error_log
You should also have access to the apache error log (last 300 lines) from within cPanel at cPanel>>Metrics>>Errors

These should give you some insight as to what isn't working correctly and what to fix, ultimately though if you're not comfortable looking into these items I'd suggest enlisting the assistance of a qualified system administrator. If you don't have one you might find one here: System Administration Services | cPanel Forums