The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant about quotas...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 4u123, Apr 7, 2006.

1. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Quotas have NEVER worked properly - every day I look at a server to find that the quotas are all "unlimited" and the customers just use as much space as they want. Constantly we have to fix this and then it just stops working again.

Why should we have to spend so much time constantly fixing this to find its stopped working again!!

Its ok if you have 1 or 2 servers but when you have 30 its a serious pain in the ass!

You'd think by now something might have been done about this problem.

We spend so much money on cPanel licenses - maybe they should stay up late and fix these problems on a friday night instead of me! What the f**k am I paying for ?

2. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Maybe you should spend some of that money for a system admin and language education.

What most of us would do is submit a support ticket to our lic provider/cpanel if it was something that we could not fix and was reoccurring.

3. Andre Ferrari

Andre Ferrari Registered

Dave
    Wen one user came to a FORUM for resquest help it's because is the last option for them.

It's normal stay nervous whith this.

I think the Staff of CPANEL ignore this because they know what is this stress.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Quotas also have little to do with cPanel - they're part of the underlying OS and if they're failing the problem will most likely lie with the OS. If you're running a VPS by any chance, then the fault will lie squarely with the host server.

5. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Indeed. In addition to what Dave said, never assume you are entitled to an answer. You are not; you aren't, after all, paying for the service. You will earn an answer, if you earn it, by asking a substantial, interesting, and thought-provoking question — one that implicitly contributes to the experience of the community rather than merely passively demanding knowledge from others, or bashing others.

On the other hand, making it clear that you are able and willing to help in the process of developing the solution is a very good start. “Would someone provide a pointer?”, “What is my example missing?”, and “What site should I have checked?” are more likely to get answered than “Please post the exact procedure I should use.” because you're making it clear that you're truly willing to complete the process if someone can just point you in the right direction.

Posting this specific complaint in these forums will take you nowhere. If none of the suggestions here helped, submit a technical support with the cPanel.

6. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

Quotas in the past I have just fixed with a reinstall of perl, however from what you have said it does sound o/s related.

If it is a cPanel problem reinstalling perl almost always fixes it, or it has for me at least:

wget http://layer2.cpanel.net/perl587installer.tar.gz
    tar zxf perl587installer.tar.gz
    cd perl587installer
    ./install

Then /scripts/fixquotas when thats finished.

7. asterisk

asterisk Well-Known Member

Is this referring to disk space quotas on cPanel or bandwidth?

I notice I'm only able to view disk space quotas on cPanel and not bandwidth. (I wonder why that is)

While on WHM, I'm able to view both for a particular cPanel account.

8. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I was simply venting my frustration - nothing wrong with that. Isnt this a "discussion" forum ? I didnt demand an answer from anyone. I was simply anoyyed that yet again I was up late fixing problems that I rally sholdnt have to.

We have lots of cpanel servers - nearly all of them have this problem. Customer says - my disk quota is showing "unlimited" in cpanel.

I run fixquotas or fixeveryting and the problem goes away, only to come back later.

I'm not a developer - I have no idea whether the issue is related to an actual OS quota problem or to cpanel's interpretation / display of the quota. I am unaware of exactly what the script does to fix the issue.

Regardless of anything anyone has said here - this problem is a serious pain in the ass - I made the presumption that since this happens on nearly all our servers that it is a very common problem with no apparent fix. Perhaps my presumption was incorrect - maybe it only happens to us. Must be a conspiracy!

9. dwykofka

dwykofka Well-Known Member

If this is happening on "most of your servers" then perhaps your DC is rolling out the servers incorrectly..

Just so you know, This is not Normal. Cpanel Quotas work fine on every server I have.

Sure every once in a while you have to run fixquotas but not everyday, there is something going on to cause your issue..

What OS are you running?
    What version of Cpanel/Whm?
    What Size/Type of Drives?
    Are you drives ext3?
    How many machines?
    What DC are you in?

This will help everyone get on the right track.

10. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I agree that his DC may be setting them up incorrectly as all of our servers the quota works fine on also.

There is a thread on the forum about removing the defaults from the /etc/fstab line and only having usrquota listed for the partition

might be worth a try