Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Raport of buggy scripting for DNS-named under SuSE 9.0

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by webhostnet, Apr 22, 2005.

1. webhostnet

webhostnet Member

System
    WHM 10.0.0
    cPanel 10.1.0-R30

Problem
    Running "/scripts/fixndc" or "/scripts/fixcommonproblems" or "/scripts/fixeverything" corrupts named functionality up to the point where it won't restart.

Effects
    After running one of the above scripts, you get the following config files rendered useless:

1. named.conf
    Added a second pair of controls at the top of the named.conf file
    Code:
    controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { "key"; };
    };
    and so, makeing named restart complain about
    Code:
    Apr 22 23:33:44 xxx named[12973]: /etc/named.conf:4: couldn't find key 'key' for use with command channel 127.0.0.1#953
    Apr 22 23:33:44 xxx named[12973]: command channel listening on 127.0.0.1#953
    Apr 22 23:33:44 xxx named[12973]: /etc/named.d/rndc-access.conf:7: couldn't add command channel 127.0.0.1#953: address in use

because SuSE by default already includs a file /etc/named.d/rndc-access.conf who uses that control.

2. named.conf
    Modify paths for all zones to point to the folder specified in "directory" directive from named.conf. In a chrooted environment this change will make your zones "disapear" and named will die with messages like
    Code:
    Apr 22 23:31:32 xxx named[12920]: could not configure root hints from '/var/named/root.hint': file not found
    Apr 22 23:31:32 xxx named[12920]: loading configuration: file not found
    Apr 22 23:31:32 xxx named[12920]: exiting (due to fatal error)

or
    Code:
    zone somedomain.co.uk/IN: loading master file /var/named/somedomain.co.uk.db: file not found

3. rndc.key
    Your "original" /etc/rndc.key gets zeroed (zero file size)

Distributions affected
    Looks like SuSE 9.0 is not the only one affected by this. There are similar topics about:

My personal advice
    Backup BY HAND your named.conf and any related file (such as rndc.key in my case) BEFORE running one of the following:
    "/scripts/fixndc"
    "/scripts/fixcommonproblems"
    "/scripts/fixeverything"

--- --- --- --- --- ---
    Done.
    Comments are most welcomed.
    Please excuse typos / poor English.
    Bla bla...
    Hope this helps somebody.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you have a bug to report you should follow the site recommendations and log it in bugzilla so that cPanel are aware:
    http://bugzilla.cpanel.net

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. webhostnet

webhostnet Member

I'm waiting for somekind of confirmations before any bugzilled report. I can't state if it's a bug or not while testing it on a single machine/distro. If nobody can/will confirm at least the "simptoms" I described, I'll just let this thread to die. Thank you for your interest (as much as it is).