Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ratelimit outgoing emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jigster, Oct 31, 2017.

1. jigster

jigster Registered

I'd like to restrict outgoing emails to a maximum of 500 per day. I believe I need to use the ratelimit feature of Exim and add a rule to the ACL section in WHM > Exim Configuration > Advanced Editor. Would this rule work?

deny authenticated = *
    ratelimit = 500 / 1d / strict / $authenticated_id

Can anyone tell me exactly where the rule should be added in the Exim Advanced editor? Should it go in acl_not_smtp > custom_begin_outgoing_notsmtp_checkall? Or somewhere else?

Thanks

To clarify, I'd like the limit to be a max of 500 outgoing emails per day per email user. And is it possible to set the limit per domain instead of per email user? Thanks

#1 jigster, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Support for setting up the limit per domain name is already supported and documented at:

How to Set Email Send Limits - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

There's no support for per-email-account limits, but I encourage you to vote and add feedback to the existing feature request at:

Mail sending limits per email account (rather than per domain)

You are welcome to try implementing a custom rate limit rule via the "Advanced Editor" in "WHM >> Exim Configuration Manager" but note that those types of custom changes are unsupported. The following Exim documentation may help if you decide to try setting it up on your own:

43. Access control lists

Thank you.

3. jigster

jigster Registered

Thanks. The first option we already use to limit per hour, but we also really need a daily limit to prevent users sending up to the hourly limit 24 hours a day! I have already voted on the above feature request. The third custom option is what I want to do, but I don't know where to put the rule, which section of the ACLs in the Exim config? Is acl_not_smtp > custom_begin_outgoing_notsmtp_checkall the correct place? I've searched and can't see anywhere that explains in plain english where to add a ratelimit rule to limit authenticated users sending too many emails. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The supported rate limits are part of the "acl_smtp_connect" ACL. Have you tried adding the custom value to the "custom_begin_connect" section under "acl_smtp_connect" in "WHM >> Exim Configuration Manager >> Advanced Editor"?

Thank you.