Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Ratelimit outgoing emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by jigster, Oct 31, 2017.

1. jigster

jigster Registered

I'd like to restrict outgoing emails to a maximum of 500 per day. I believe I need to use the ratelimit feature of Exim and add a rule to the ACL section in WHM > Exim Configuration > Advanced Editor. Would this rule work?

deny authenticated = *
    ratelimit = 500 / 1d / strict / $authenticated_id

Can anyone tell me exactly where the rule should be added in the Exim Advanced editor? Should it go in acl_not_smtp > custom_begin_outgoing_notsmtp_checkall? Or somewhere else?

Thanks

To clarify, I'd like the limit to be a max of 500 outgoing emails per day per email user. And is it possible to set the limit per domain instead of per email user? Thanks

#1 jigster, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Support for setting up the limit per domain name is already supported and documented at:

How to Set Email Send Limits - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

There's no support for per-email-account limits, but I encourage you to vote and add feedback to the existing feature request at:

Mail sending limits per email account (rather than per domain)

You are welcome to try implementing a custom rate limit rule via the "Advanced Editor" in "WHM >> Exim Configuration Manager" but note that those types of custom changes are unsupported. The following Exim documentation may help if you decide to try setting it up on your own:

43. Access control lists

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jigster

jigster Registered

Thanks. The first option we already use to limit per hour, but we also really need a daily limit to prevent users sending up to the hourly limit 24 hours a day! I have already voted on the above feature request. The third custom option is what I want to do, but I don't know where to put the rule, which section of the ACLs in the Exim config? Is acl_not_smtp > custom_begin_outgoing_notsmtp_checkall the correct place? I've searched and can't see anywhere that explains in plain english where to add a ratelimit rule to limit authenticated users sending too many emails. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

The supported rate limits are part of the "acl_smtp_connect" ACL. Have you tried adding the custom value to the "custom_begin_connect" section under "acl_smtp_connect" in "WHM >> Exim Configuration Manager >> Advanced Editor"?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...