The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rather upset with the whole cpanel thing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tgillespie, Oct 28, 2003.

1. tgillespie

tgillespie Member

These last few days have been nothing but hell for me. Cpanel hasn't helped one bit. I thought I would share my opinions on the support and software in general.

I switched from Ensim to Cpanel because everyone told me how wonderful the control panel was, how wonderful the support was, and how wonderful the community was. I have been working hour upon hour on scraping out the bugs. WHM is so disorganizied I find myself spending 20 minutes looking for a certain tool.

First, I had MySQL problems. The Ensim to Cpanel transfer script was pathetic. It might of been my fault for trying it with Ensim Pro, but I figured it would work a little better than this. It didn't transfer anything but the account names, therefor when I manually transfered each site I had to rename the accounts since WHM does not allow me to delete the existing accounts. Very frusturating.

Then thank god that I backed MySQL up seperately, cause Cpanel failed to transfer those. Then after I transfered the accounts, Cpanel does not even have the capabilities to list them. I contacted support and they simply replied with 2 sentances saying it wasn't possible. They told me to rename some 100 MySQL databases and then change my 80 sum customer's scripts. That is pathetic.

Then, we started having MySQL errors. Something about a missing PID file. Some level one tech that knew very little tried to fix the problem, failed horribly and left MySQL down for hours. She then emailed me back telling me that I had to wait for a higher level tech support person. She made no intention to fix MySQL; just crashed it. The higher level tech support did NOTHING to help me solve the problem. He simply stated the obvious that I had a file missing and some older Ensim RPMs. He gave me no directions on what to do next, and will not respond to a reply email.

I am getting very disgusted with the service and wish I would of stayed with Ensim. I thought it was buggy.... I've spent hours working out Cpanels glitches and errors. It seems like this software was just thrown together without ever looking into the possbilities of different setups and cases.

Not a happy customer.

Sincerely,
    Trent Gillespie

2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

So you're upset that the cpanel transfer tool did not transfer your accounts perfectly? If you had switched from cpanel to ensim, would there have been a transfer tool? I understand that it's frustrating, but you're not starting from scratch. It's a lot better if you start fresh.

Is the transfer tool even supposed to work with Ensim Pro?

3. tgillespie

tgillespie Member

I was lead to believe that the transfer would be flawless by Cpanel reps on RackShack's forums. They said that I might experience some MySQL problems, but that the transfer would be considerably easy. If I would of known I would be spending hours upon hours ironing out bugs, I would of stayed with Ensim.

The lack of Cpanel support is what drove me to finally posting this thread. I have not been rude, demanding, or inconsiderate when dealing with the support, and I feel I have been shut down. Maybe the tech was the bad apple in the pack, but something about the entire support system isn't to ripe.

Anyways, still got some ordeals to take care of tonight. Have a good one ladies and gents. Hopefully I don't have to visit here agian.

4. Joshfrom

Joshfrom Well-Known Member

tgillespie,

Did you submit a support ticket with us directly? And if so what was the number of the ticket? It helps us to followup on a complaint if you relate back to ticket numbers in our system.

5. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Would you like some toilet roll.. Maybe cPanel can try wiping your arse for you too?

If fixing mySQL isn't within your repertoire of skills then I suggest you question your suitability to being a sysadmin.

cPanel is, in the most basic terms, a 'helper application'. It's not designed to replace a brain.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but every hosting discussion board is full of rubbish like this.

</rant over> .. let the flaming begin ..

:)

6. haze

haze Well-Known Member

SHAME ON YOU! How dare you tell it how it is!

Now really, I ready your post ( thread starter ) and honestly, your just putting blame on cpanel for your own ignorance. You're converting an ensim system to cpanel. 2 very unique systems and you OBVIOUSLY should prepare yourself for problems. If you are unable to do so, start fresh, transfer the accounts over by hand. If you are unable to, then hire someone that is capable of doing so for you.

Oh, and if your not happy with cpanel.. GOOD RIDANCE!

7. tlee

tlee Registered

Which Cpanel reps post on the rackshack forums?

8. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Hmm, so you're a RS customer. In which case; which support are you complaining about - cPanel support or RS support?

My understanding is that RS are your distributor therefore THEY provide the support for cPanel, and NOT cPanel themselves.

Care to clarify?

9. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    None,
    tgillespie has confused "reps" with "other cpanel users". No cPanel reps post on RS, just users helping each other.

I should also point out that most people say to buy a new server and transfer manually rather than use the script.
    tgillespie wanted an easy out and got burned, hey that's life.

Actually cPanel is LOTS better than Ensim (pro or otherwise), but it is different and there are far more options. Once you've used it for awhile and figured out where everything is you'll be very happy.

10. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Transferring from an Ensim to a Cpanel erver is NEVER going to be straight across, same with transferring from a plesk to a CPanel server, or H-Sphere to a cpanel server, it's just a fact of life.

If all you rely on is CPanel to do your work, you're in serious trouble. Granted, CPanel does a LOT of basic stuff, but you still have to have the brains to fix the subdomain problems, fix the mysql errors, fix the problems that come up. If you don't, as others have said, you need to reconsider you position as a systems admin.

Too many any more are relying solely on the control panel to do the work that should be done by hand. Moving things, all of that should be done by the Control Panel, yes, but you have to know how to fix the Control Panel's errors.

CPanel as far as I've seen is THE most wonderful control panel around. How many others that you know of are working on scripts to update your entire OS version? I can't think of many really. Even better, how many are updating on a nightly basis? Can that be said about any of the others? Not as far as I know.

Cpanel support is hands down some of the best around. If you've got a critical error, they can (and have) get it solved in minutes. I've seen it countless times before.

11. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

Sorry you had trouble transferring, but Cpanel is better than Ensim. When I transferred my accounts to Cpanel a couple of years ago, I did it manually. Yeah, it was a pain, but ultimately, I am glad I did it.

12. eurorocco

eurorocco Well-Known Member

Cpanel better! Ensim cannot do from basic to pro. Cpanel can from Ensim Basic.

:)

I am at this moment transfering hundreds of sites from Ensim Basic to Cpanel with the tool and I do see wrinkles that will require some ironing... well, I take it with patience.

Look, Ensim could not even come up with a decent script to transfer my sites from Ensim Basic to Ensim Pro, so when I found that Cpanel had the transfer from Ensim I freaked out happy. Hehe. It's saved TONS and TONS of work.

Ensim is better if you want to keep it real real real simple, but quite flat, too flat if you want to sell hosting.

Sorry to see you so frustrated. It comes with the sys admin job combined with stress and paranoia pounding. :)

Hope it helps!

ER