The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ratio of working boxes to broken ones?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nybble, Nov 3, 2004.

1. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

Well I don't even think I need to say this.. but as you can tell most
    posts on this forum are about server problems. This broke... that
    failed, that ate my homework. Anyway. Seeing there are all these
    issues I was wondering if someone would enlighten me with some
    statistics of people without problems? I want to roll cpanel out on
    multiple servers but right now each box costs me about 1 hour of
    admin time every day. Now obviously once there is a few more servers
    this will be a problem. Does anyone have any statistics of large
    numbers of servers that don't require a lot of house keeping?

And on another note... do any large company use cpanel?

I just know from personal experience that all the servers I have been
    on are a bit shaky. Nothing ever fails or anything of that matter...
    just updates used to break things, logins wouldn't work and so on.

Do the members of this forum with problems just represent a small
    portion of the overall client base that cpanel has?

If you want to comment on other panels that run well in a large-user
    environment please feel free.

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

I've only had one or two servers over the last 3 years so I can't say how it goes on a large scale, but I've had a total of about 40 server months of cpanel experience and have only once had an issue that was urgent due to affecting end users. I've had an issue to deal with relating to problems on my end maybe two or three times but in each case another upgrade fixed it.

That's why I use manual edge updates. I update when I have a few minutes to spare and if there is a bug, it's usually fixed within a couple hours, or maybe even minutes.

I used stable for the first 2 years and edge for the last year now and have very little trouble either way.

I think the way it goes is, the more addons or customizations you have on your system, the more likely there will be problems.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I too use manual EDGE updates and haven't had any major issues that either couldn't be resolved fairly quickly, or couldn't be avoided by simply downgrading to RELEASE until fixed.

You will also only get people posting on these forums with problems, they're not going to come here every day and say "Server's still fine" ;) So the view you get will always be warped.

4. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

Good point! :D

5. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Along with doing manual edge releases as well, it is important to also have a good grasp of the O/S you're using as well as any other software. In some cases people just let the updates go blindly everynight. This is almost a sure fire way to have troubles.

To help ensure a smoother environment do the upgrades manually when possible and don't be rushed, whether you choose edge, release, whatever it's best to be available when updating to be on top of any new issues that may arise.

6. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

I'm a wimp. I do manual Current most of the time, unless there is something in Edge I just have to have. Before Current was around I was doing manual Edge after a new version had been out a few hours. :)

7. richy

richy Well-Known Member

I keep my personal box on Edge and all our customer-facing ones on Current or Release. (of course - all set to Manual updates)

8. Elikster

Elikster Well-Known Member

Hostforweb - Over 50 Servers in Production

We manage over 50 servers in our network and we have been growing on monthly basis of 2 to 3 servers per month. And all of our Cpanel enabled servers, they all have certain customization that I apply to all of them, to ensure more stability and have certain features working properly.

Just that once a while, Cpanel will roll out something to fix something which can in turn bork the custom changes I placed in the servers in the first place, which can results in problems. Best example is the pure-ftpd update, since Cpanel haven't released any updates on it and I made my own RPMs for it to get everything up to date and to add certain features and configurations to our standards. When they came out with their pure-ftp version, they messed ours up, but it is easily fixed when I release a new version to overwrites theirs to have in sync.

Same for numerious others things, and the best way to get good stability is to have good understanding of Cpanel, the OS you using for your server and to fine-tune them to have most potential realized out of it.

Billy can attest to that since he used to work for us before he left to work for Cpanel.