The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raw Access Log? Redundant?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by big_noober, Nov 15, 2012.

1. big_noober

big_noober Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Ok so I have this link in my webroot to a folder called ‘access-logs’. In that folder I have two files: one is listed as a MS-DOS Application and the other is a COM-FTP_LOG File. However, I get errors when I double click on them so I open them in Notepad++ and all is GOOD:

The first one seems to be a log file where I can see each request made to my web server for that day. And the second one seems to be a record of all the files I have ftpd to the webserver.

All is great and all, but there is a section in CPANEL under LOGS called ‘Raw Access Logs’ and when I click on it there are two checkboxes that are UNSELECTED right now called:
    ‘Archive logs in your home directory at the end of each stats run’
    ‘Remove the previous month’s archived logs from your home directory at the end of each month’

My question is why would I select these checkboxes if I already have a log file for past 24 hours? If I did select these checkboxes, where would the log files exactly be placed?

2. dcsun

dcsun Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Logs will still be placed in the same location. The first option retains data beyond the nightly stats run, at the end of which the system is most likely set to delete it. The second option rotates out that monthly archive so they don't continue piling up there.

The file descriptions (MS-DOS Application and COM-FTP_LOG File) is just a Windows reaction to the extension of the file.