The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raw Access Logs Missing Subdomains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ozgreg, Jan 6, 2004.

1. ozgreg

ozgreg Registered

I been having a running helpdesk issue with my hosting company over Raw Access Logs being incorrect and I have finally tracked down the issue to this point and hoping someone on this forum can help me..

Firstly the facts..

CPanel Version: 8.5.5-RELEASE
    Operating System: Linux
    Apache Version: 1.3.29 (Unix)

Now the weird issues..

I have several subdomains, with two subdomains hosting phpbb boards I will call them A and B

Subdomain A is about six months old and I can see/analyze traffic in the Raw Access Logs and Web Statistics.
    Subdomain B is about one month old and I cannot see or analyze traffic in the Raw Access Logs and Web Statistics.

In BOTH cases I can see traffic for Subdomain A and B in the bandwidth usage report so traffic is being logged in some way shape or form.

My Hosting company has told me that the fact that traffic is NOT being logged int he Raw Access Log for subdomain B is a problem with cpanel but I am not so sure as I have seen other postings stating that Raw Access Logs are controlled via Apache and have nothing to do with Cpanel plus it seems strange that only new subdomains are effected while older subdomains work well.

I am hoping someone can help me with either a solution to this problem or some pointers with a few directions in finding some solutions to this problem.

2. ozgreg

ozgreg Registered

bump.. Can noone help?

3. casey

casey Well-Known Member

This doesn't seem like a cpanel issue. Are you by any chance running a secure site on subdomain B? Any hits that come from https will not be counted.

4. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

Have you tried using: /scripts/fixsubdomainlogs

5. Doctor

Doctor Well-Known Member

Had that problem few weeks ago. Just recreate the account.

6. ozgreg

ozgreg Registered

Thanks for all your replies.. I just actually tracked down the problem.. (and running the scripts did not help but thanks heaps for that)

The issue occurs when accessing the sudomain directly
    ie apple.domain.com will cause the access to NOT log in the raw access log

However accessing www.domain.com/apple will Log in the raw access log..

Of course I am not any closer to a solution, but this narrows down the issue of why the raw access logs are incorrect.

7. faejon

faejon Registered

I am having this issue as well. I was hoping that by coming to this board I would find a solution.

None of my sub domains are being logged in the Raw Access logs.

Is this a know bug in Cpanel?

8. ozgreg

ozgreg Registered

No it is a Cpanel Limitiation.. The best way to handle this seems to be copy the raw access logs and use a external package to combine the logs together to get a total picture..

Shame really that cpanel cannot do this :(

9. faejon

faejon Registered

Where do I find the raw logs for the sub domains?

The Cpanel Icon called Raw Logs only downloads the main site. I know that they are somewhere on the server because they must be used to generate the analog stats.

Is there some command or tweak I can ask my hoster to turn on so the raw logs for my sub domains are available as a seperate download?

10. HostIt

HostIt Well-Known Member

They are found in /usr/local/apache/domlogs. Your host may wish to copy these across for you, or perhaps set up a cron job to have them copied automatically. It would be handy if CPanel could make these accessible within the panel, but you'd need to put in a feature request :)

11. Huminie

Huminie Member

Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but an anyone tell me how to create such a cron job?

I have root on the server and I want it to copy this file (/usr/local/apache/domlogs/file) to a users cpanel log directory (/home/username/logs). Of course the permissions would need to be set so that the user could at least read the file.

Never done a cron job before, so please bear with me.

TIA!

12. Huminie

Huminie Member

Thank you Mr. Cherry...errr...Frank.

I will dive into this and give it a shot...what's the worst that could happen, right? :D

13. liquidcherry

liquidcherry Well-Known Member

the worst!!!

i think the worst what could happen is that Bill Gates call u and try to convince u to use Windows 2003 :D

No i think the worst what can happen is that the cron job is not running....

Let me know

Mr.Cherr...Frank ;)