The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raw Access Logs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by postUre, Apr 27, 2005.

1. postUre

postUre Registered

My host uses cPanel9 - however to my dismay the Raw Access Logs are only generated in .gz format. When I extract the .gz file it is impossible to interpret.

Is there anything I can suggest to my host that they can do to generate the Raw Access Log files in the .txt format as seen at

http://cpanelguide.net/

>>>RAW ACCESS LOGS

http://cpanelguide.net/RawLog.txt

Thank you very much

2. DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

That's just a sample excerpt, it's not meant to imply that you will download logs as a *.txt file. Just get a copy of WinZip or WinRAR and it will decompress the gz archives. Working with a linux based server, you will need something like these sooner or later because gz and tar files are common. One thing, when you extract the raw log file from the gz archive, if the domain is a .com, it will appear in Windows as an executable program file because it uses the .com extension. You will either need to change that to txt or open the file through your text editor and not by double clicking in My Computer. This has always been irritating to me and really confuses clients :(.

Note: The above assumes you are using Windows as your desktop.

David

3. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    #3 dalem, Apr 28, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  4. postUre

postUre Registered

I did extract the files. When I went to open them with NotePad the individual accesses were not showing on their own line. So the logs were impossible to review.

However, when I open the extracted file with WordPad each access is now on its own line ! so I am good to go.

At my previous host a .txt file automatically popped up in a browser to review the the Raw Access Logs - and that was a nice feature.

Another thing I noticed is that with my current "new" host all the Raw Access Log enteries only show the IP address,,, with my previous host you could see what I think were the Name Servers of the visitors instead.

Is there anything that can be done to view the Name Server instead of the IP address in the Raw Access Log ?

Thank you.

5. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

This particular option is controlled through the HostnameLookups directive in the file /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf

This is incredibly resource intensive on a server, and most folks will have turned it off by default. You can check with your host, but a better bet, if you need this information, is to let a log analysis program perform that function.

Are you running any of the available web analytic applications (AwStats, etc.) through your cPanel account?

6. postUre

postUre Registered

Yes - the following are all available at the click of a button -

Analog
    Awstats
    Webalizer
    Webalizer Ftp

I see Webalizer and AwStats give the resolved IP but you can't tell what pages they are associated with,, only how many hits, files, kbytes, visits, etc.

I would like to see that next to the page/file access as I was able to with my previous host.

Thank you.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, RickG has given the answer to the lookups question, there's no other solution. as for the file format, it will be in UNIX file format, which has different end of line feeds to that used by Windows which Notepad cannot cope with in Windows. You need to use a more sophisticated editor (as you have found) that understands the differences, that's an issue with Windows, not with the log files.