The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RDNS and PTR records

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Hostmill, May 5, 2014.

1. Hostmill

Hostmill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Guys

Just after a little advice around setting up RDNS and PTR records.

I can confirm I have asked my provider to update the RDNS records to point to my server hostname for 2 IP's. I am unsure of what the correct next step is. Do I add 2 PTR records in the zone of the primary domain on the server or do I create an independent zone record to set up RDNS on my server as per the docs at this link - Configure Reverse DNS in WHM

Cheers.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

No additional steps are required if your provider is setting up the RDNS records for you. The option to configure those records in WHM is only required when your provider delegates the ability to set them up directly on your server.

Thank you.

3. Hostmill

Hostmill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael

Thanks for that info. Heading in the right direction.

The reason I posted was because my PTR records were only partially propagating. Now that I have corrected that RDNS situation they are still not consistent across a random selection of servers using this https://www.whatsmydns.net/

Some servers still show my old hostname whilst some show the new one. I recently changed my primary domain and hostname on my server by editing the zone record, changing the name servers and hostname following the info provided here http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/changing-primary-domain-160153.html

Was it ok to make the change this way? Could this be the reason for the inconsistent propagation? It has been 3 days since I made this change.

Cheers

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suggest deleting any changes you made to the PTR records on the cPanel server itself. The changes made by your provider should be sufficient.

Thank you.

5. Hostmill

Hostmill Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK

Yes I have deleted the PTR records I added on my Cpanel Server.

I discovered that the issue was with my provider. They set up PTR records on one server correctly and incorrectly on another server. Hence the inconsistent propagation.

Thanks.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator