The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rDNS Issues

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Lestat, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

FAIL Reverse DNS entries for MX records ERROR: The IP of one or more of your mail server(s) have no reverse DNS (PTR) entries (if you see "Timeout" below, it may mean that your DNS servers did not respond fast enough). RFC1912 2.1 says you should have a reverse DNS for all your mail servers. It is strongly urged that you have them, as many mailservers will not accept mail from mailservers with no reverse DNS entry. You can double-check using the 'Reverse DNS Lookup' tool at the DNSstuff site (it contacts your servers in real time; the reverse DNS lookups in the DNS report use our local caching DNS server). The problem MX records are:
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa [No reverse DNS entry (rcode: 3 ancount: 0) (check it)]

I currently have 2 other web servers in my rack. I have them setup without a problem for the reverse DNS. I have control over my PTR records for all my IP's. No need for me to contact my NOC. As they give me control over this. I have had these new settings on NOC end with the PTR records for well over 24 hours now. I have searched the forum for all types of fixes but nothing seems to be working. Can someone shed some light on how to fix this issue? :confused:

#1 Lestat, Feb 1, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  2. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

dig -x xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

; <<>> DiG 9.2.3 <<>> -x xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 18283
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. 3600 IN SOA ns1.nac.net. dnsadmin.nac.net. 1107294610 10800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 2 msec
    ;; SERVER: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx#53(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Feb 1 18:18:22 2005
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 101

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

This suggests to me that they have not delegated authority for the IP addresses to you:

xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. 3600 IN SOA ns1.nac.net. dnsadmin.nac.net

4. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

SO basically I have 2 seperate blocks of 128 ip's each one I can add prt records to what ever IP I want through there web interface. I have done that. So first block I have the other web servers and this is a new block of IP's and I have added the new PRT records. And that is what I have recieved in return on the dig.

So now I have gotten this far.

I have that address working now.

I have changed the ip address of the site to the ip address of ns2.domain.com and now it works. But I have other domains on there as well. So do I need to add more DNS servers in order for those domains to work as well when it is not a shared IP address?

#4 Lestat, Feb 1, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  5. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Is the mail server a shared IP#? If so, then the other's really do not need the reverse as long as the mail server IP has it, it should be fine.

6. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

OK silly question but how do I find out what ip mail server is on?

7. easyhoster1

8. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

FAIL Reverse DNS entries for MX records ERROR: The IP of one or more of your mail server(s) have no reverse DNS (PTR) entries (if you see "Timeout" below, it may mean that your DNS servers did not respond fast enough). RFC1912 2.1 says you should have a reverse DNS for all your mail servers. It is strongly urged that you have them, as many mailservers will not accept mail from mailservers with no reverse DNS entry. You can double-check using the 'Reverse DNS Lookup' tool at the DNSstuff site (it contacts your servers in real time; the reverse DNS lookups in the DNS report use our local caching DNS server). The problem MX records are:
    152.216.246.66.in-addr.arpa [No reverse DNS entry (rcode: 3 ancount: 0) (check it)]

9. easyhoster1

Is 66.246.126.152 the IP# for the name server?

In other words ns1.domain.com assigned to this IP#?

10. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

no that is just the IP I have assigned the IP to. I have another domanin there www.fn4web.com which resides on the one of the 2 IP's I have assigned for the DNS servers NS1 and NS2. It is on NS2. As for the fragnetwork it is on a seperate IP. Not the same IP of the DNS. All this is on one box. I have 5 IP's assigned to the server.

11. easyhoster1

Right, the mail server should be on the same IP# as your nameserver. Check the domain name that has the nameserver at Dns reports and see if the reverse is enabled.

If you need more help, I suggest contacting nac.net support or your webhost as this should be simple to fix.

Remember, the reverse should be on the mail server. The extra IP# do not need reverse, as the mail server should already be assigned reverse by the nameserver.

All mail for the domains are using the one mail server, even if they have a dedicated IP#
    If you want reverse for all domains assigned, you need to contact nac.net and have them add them to their reverse dns.

#11 easyhoster1, Feb 2, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  12. Lestat

Lestat Well-Known Member

I have access to the PTR records at NAC. I have a control panel that lets me add them myslef so they no need tobe bothered. I have had no other problems with any of my other webservers.

13. DigitalN

DigitalN Well-Known Member

Just some unimportant info for you

# host 123.123.123.123

From command line will resolve a domain pointer, reverse dns record (PTR) if its working.

(change for your IP that you are running your mail server on, usually the boxes main IP, but not always)
    Check email headers to see that info or /etc/exim.conf for any custom interface = 123.123.123.123 entries.

Quite often a dns server stops reloading new entries due to errors, you need to contact nac support if you have added the IP into the control panel and the above check doesn't resolve a correct reverse record.

:)