The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RE: Apache very slow bit rate

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by bmarshallbri, Oct 30, 2007.

1. bmarshallbri

bmarshallbri Active Member

Hi All,

I've been fiddling with this for quite a few weeks now. We have to cPanel servers that are on data lines we monitor bandwidth on. We've been having problems with files served from apache coming across very very sloooooowly.

It's not slow enough to really cause any problems unless we try to stream media or progressive download video clips, or download large files.

When streaming music, like from kplaylist or other low overhead streaming software we get bad stalls.

When posting FLV files and trying to view via progressive download we get bad stalls as well.

When downloading a large file (like a tar or zip archive), it's also very slow.

Here's some data

WHM 11.11.0 cPanel 11.15.0-C17802
    CENTOS Enterprise 4.4 x86_64 on standard - WHM X v3.1.0

Our data line is monitored by an SNMP counter, so we get really accurate stats on bandwidth. As a test I downloaded a 100mgb zip file from the web server. On the browser end it never clocked over 40kbps. When watching the stats during the download we never peaked past 15% of our available bandwidth (3mgbs).

For a control I downloaded the same file via SCP and by FTP. Big difference. Way faster and I can see that we use closer to 80% available bandwidth on the data line.

Conclusion:

Files coming from apache have substantially slower bit rates than other services on the machine.

So is there a module I am overlooking on httpd or are there performance tuning things I can do to get apache to use more of the available bandwidth?