The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-install mySQL v4.1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by correctsearch, Jun 1, 2006.

1. correctsearch

correctsearch Active Member

Recently I have upgraded mySQL database to v5.0 using WHM. None of my site is working. I would like ot remove v5.o and reinstall v4.1

Can someone let me know how can I use my WHM to reinstall mySQL v4.1. I have linux server with Fedora Core2.

Please tell me the steps to remove v5.0 and install v4.1

Thank you for your support

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

If you wish to downgrade Mysql to 4.1, you can do that from Tweak Settings in WHM. Sometimes upgrading from WHM will not show the lower version of Mysql in WHM. In that case you will have to edit the file /var/cpanel/cpanel.config

But make sure you take the backup of your databases before you downgrade or you may be in trouble.

Also the same issue has been recently discussed few times. Search the forums for more help.

3. correctsearch

correctsearch Active Member

You can do the downgradation from shell mode. Edit the file /var/cpanel/cpanel.config and find the line saying mysql-version and then edit to say mysql-version=4 . After that run /scripts/mysqlup .

Be warned that mysql downgradation won't always go smoothly and you can expect the worst downtime, but it shouldn't matter if it is still not online. Also remember 50% of times, you would need to recompile php.

You may see this error message:
    Finished
    Parsing package install arguments
    Nothing to do
    Resetting MySQL to cPanel Defaults and Installing the Latest Version
    I ran out of mirrors for MySQL. at /scripts/mysqlup line 227.

You can also login to WHM
    > Tweak settings > Mysql > select '4' instead of '4.1'.

It is pretty much straightforward way to downgrade; and may well get you MySQL v4.0.25.Do make a try, but it is not advisable to downgrade the Mysql version from higher to lower version.