The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reach Website via IP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by puremind, Jul 23, 2007.

1. puremind

puremind Registered

Hi,

I got a problem. We received our server with the following stats:
    IP#s from x.x.x.218 - x.x.x.222. 218 is set as the standard ip and they connected our domain with it. When i typ in ourdomain.com i reach the index file i put in with ftp. when i use the ip as adress it shows me a standard apache page. why is that?
    i made another account with the 219 ip and a fiktive domain which we plan to move from our old server soon. when i type in the ip i can reach the index.html which i uploaded via ftp easily. why is that?

2. bebop1065

bebop1065 Active Member

I'm sorry to ask the obvious but, did you ask your host about this?

3. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

There can in principle be more than one website at the IP address x.x.x.219. Therefore, when you enter http://x.x.x.219 in your browser, Apache will display the first virtual host defined for that IP address. If you are not seeing the website you were hoping for, simply change the order of the virtual hosts in httpd.conf, and put the desired website first.

4. bogo

bogo Member

I really don't understand the need of "reaching a virtual host" via IP. Why you don't just create a NEW ACCOUNT?
    Put the Account in top of you main TLD - something liken "temp.mydomain.com"
    Now you have a whole new web created. Upload all files via FTP there. Later on go back and change the "temp.mydomain.com" to the approbate new TLD.

maybe 'cause he run his own server :)

5. bebop1065

bebop1065 Active Member

I asked that because he said,