Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read-only file system error accessing Mailman admin

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Jim Ratliff, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jim Ratliff

Jim Ratliff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When I try to access the pending-admin page for my Mailman list (from outside of cPanel), viz.,
    HTML:
    http://mydomain.tld/mailman/admindb/discuss_mydomain.tld
    I get (after authenticating with the moderator password) the following (noninformative) error:
    When I look in the Mailman error log, the most-relevant entry seems to be:
    Code:
    OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/public/discuss_mydomain.tld’
    The traceback is:
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    admin(4753):   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/scripts/driver", line 117, in run_main
    admin(4753):     main()
    admin(4753):   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admindb.py", line 337, in main
    admin(4753):     mlist.Save()
    admin(4753):   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 607, in Save
    admin(4753):     self.CheckHTMLArchiveDir()
    admin(4753):   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 236, in CheckHTMLArchiveDir
    admin(4753):     breaklink(pubdir)
    admin(4753):   File "/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 56, in breaklink
    admin(4753):     os.unlink(link)
    admin(4753): OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: '/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/public/discuss_mydomain.tld'

Notably, I do not get an error when I access the same page via cPanel, i.e., with a URL like:
    HTML:
    https://myprovider.tld:2083/cpsess0123456789/3rdparty/mailman/admin/discuss_mydomain.tld/
    First, I note that the particular fact pattern (viz., error from outside of cPanel, but no error from inside cPanel) is identical to that reported in:
    Copy mailman settings and subscribers.
    However, the identification of "[Errno 30] Read-only file system" and associated traceback is different than identified there.

To be clear: This Mailman installation is not on a remote server. It's just the same one installed with cPanel. (FWIW, I did migrate this list from another server.)

Here's what I've already done:
    Code:
    /scripts/fixmailman
    /scripts/restartsrv_mailman --stop
    /scripts/restartsrv_mailman --start

and
    Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/bin/check_perms
    with the output:
    Code:
    Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
    This could allow other users on your system to read private archives.
    If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
    installation manual on how to fix this. 
    I'd appreciate any help in resolving this.

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Can you verify if the "EXPERIMENTAL: Jail Apache Virtual Hosts using mod_ruid2 and cPanel® jailshell" option is enabled under the "Security" tab in "WHM >> Tweak Settings" on this system? If so, does temporarily disabling this option solve the issue?

Thank you.

3. Jim Ratliff

Jim Ratliff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Michael:
    1) Yes, the Experimental option WAS enabled (even though it said that disabled was the default—Looking over my notes from when I set this server up, for some reason I elected to change the default by enabling this option).
    2) I disabled this option and SAVE-d.
    3) Success! I can now reach those pages (from external to cPanel).

You said "temporarily disabling this option." Should I just leave it disabled and announce victory? Or are you suggesting that there's a good reason to leave it enabled.

Thanks!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The option is known to have some compatibility issues with Mailman (internal case CPANEL-9501 is open for this). There's currently no time frame on a potential solution, so for now it's likely a better approach to keep it disabled.

Thank you.

5. Jim Ratliff

Jim Ratliff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks, Michael! My problem is now solved.

cPanelMichael likes this.