The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read only

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DigiCrime, Feb 1, 2005.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime Well-Known Member

This is starting to pop up here lately, and at random. The filesystems just seem to become read only all of a sudden, no changes that im aware of, some servers have cpanel updates turned off, others dont, doesnt seem to have a pattern, something has to change it just not sure what causes it...sometimes a reboot fixes it, other times you have to unmount the partitions and remount...

Anyone been experiencing this sort of problem lately? :confused:

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

search these forums...

from what I've heard it seems that some people were having these issues shortly before their servers died.

3. DigiCrime

well that would definatly suck, although they havent died yet nor show signs of anything else, but interesting non the less

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup, as dezignguy says, disks usually go into read-only if they're going to die immenently (probably bad block count or SMART parameters). If you lease the server from a datacentre I'd get them to look at it ASAP.

5. DigiCrime

Colo machines actually... now that I think about it we had a server last saturday that was in a read only mode.... after it was fixed, come monday I noticed the drive was full, and sunday as well I had thought the root partition was full come to find out it was the backup drive.... its completly crapped out and was writing backups to the main drive, the drive may have died that day otherwise we would have noticed it earlier.

lol hardware is just something you cant predict what itll do :eek:

Be nice to have some other input as well :)

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Is the drive SMART enabled? If so you could install the latest version of http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/ (just go as far as make don't make install or you'll overwrite cPanel's old version ;)

You can then run some tests against the disk to see if it's unhealthy.

7. DigiCrime

Theres Cpanel's version, if thats what your reffering to, I dont think their exactly smart enabled...

root@ [~]# /scripts/smartcheck
    Checking /dev/hda....OK
    Checking /dev/hdc....OK

8. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

He's talking about running the SMART tools themselves.. not a cpanel script...

Code:
    smartctl -a /dev/hda
    (If your harddrive is /dev/hda)

Check the output of that... then you can do as chirpy said and get the latest version.

I have a newer version (5.1-11) that comes with the kernel utils in RHEL3... cpanel's version is an old 2.1. However cpanel's version is located at /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/smartctl so I don't think it would be overwritten by the make install?