The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read php script in reseller account with suPHP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reilabrador, Nov 17, 2011.

1. reilabrador

reilabrador Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    For some years, I developed a php script that is now a Platform for Web Management.
    The script is located in main account "/home/reseller/wwww" and the customers (from other accounts) can read this script under web.
    At this moment the server has fastcgi and some configuration of virtualhost.
    The problem is that my administrator is forcing me switch to suPHP for security reason.
    I hear that this system will not allow the others accounts read the script located in reseller account.
    I would like to know if exists any solution to access the script under web?
    I have been searching all over for an answer, but nothing. I hope get some help here.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The following thread may be useful to you:

suPHP and Symbolic links on a reseller account

However, the more secure method would be to adjust the script configuration so that accounts do not rely on a file from another account.

Thank you.

3. reilabrador

reilabrador Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Thanks for the help.
    I've read the article but my script does not have symlinks, just have virtualhost configuration for the other domains can read the specific folder in the reseller account.
    I do not know if it can keep the same parameters with suPHP?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No other users can call a script they do not own under suPHP regardless of VirtualHost entries, since that folder has to be owned by the reseller user. Under suPHP, you will end up with user and group mismatch errors when those other accounts try to call the script(s) in that folder.

Instead of the method you are using right now, try placing the scripts into /usr/local/cpanel/htdocs to see if all users are able to utilize the scripts then. The ownership would need to be root:root for anything in /usr/local/cpanel/htdocs location and any includes or calls for the script will need to use the full path (/usr/local/cpanel/htdocs/filename.php).

If any of the files are images, instead place them into /usr/local/cpanel/img-sys/ location and call them by the short path of /img-sys/imagename.ext where imagename.ext would be the name of the image.

I discuss sharing images under suPHP using img-sys in this post:

https://forums.cpanel.net/f34/referencing-images-another-cpanel-account-243381.html#post1002941

As for using the htdocs for cPanel, this is a method being tested for calling scripts that I recently discovered and the first time I've mentioned it here. We are still looking into this being a possible solution over disabling FileProtect under suPHP for sharing scripts, so I cannot guarantee the results.