The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading Peoples Emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by webactivenet, Oct 20, 2003.

1. webactivenet

webactivenet Registered

Hi there,

Ok I am pretty much against the monitoring of customers/employees emails, but I have a client who is requesting this.

Basically I manage a server for a company, and all employee mail is sent through the server. My client has requested that all mail sent and received be monitored.

Basically he is asking for me to set it up so that he can read his employees mail.

Would anyone give any suggestions as to how I could go about setting this up. As I understand it I could do it through the domains valias, but I have been unsuccesful in my attempts.

Regards

Leigh

2. NeutralGold

NeutralGold Well-Known Member

Allthough I think this would be against alot of things, but by using imap via the main account, you can subscribe to all your user's folders.

3. webactivenet

webactivenet Registered

Like I said, I do not condone this kind of thing, but it is what my customer has asked for. And in the United Kingdom it is not illegal for a company to practise the monitoring of emails as long as it is agreed when an employee signs their contract.

The problem I face is they are using WHM, and their business has multiple domains, each setup with individual packages.
    They are a company with over 500 employees, and I do not think I would be able to use the IMAP idea. :)

4. Nurples

Nurples Member

The main account holder for each domain can read anyones email that is stored on the server VIA FTP. This is probably not the route that your client wants to go, but for random email checks, its probably the eaisest. If he has the WHM password, he can log into any account under that WHM package and check the email of anyone (VIA FTP Username:DomainAccountName Password:WHM Password). All emails, per persons account, are kept in one long TXT file.

Note: Images are not visible using this method

5. BuffaloWeb

BuffaloWeb Well-Known Member

Login to CPanel, Go to Webmail Login, Login to Horde using the CPanel UserID/Pwd (without @domain.com). That brings up another login box which should have the same login info filled in already. Click Login/OK. Click on Inbox, THEN select folders in the top nav bar. This should drop down every account's inbox...

The route to the Horde login might be different depending on what skin you use (mine is heavily modified). But basically, Horde should do it...