The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Cpanel Antivirus Solution!!!

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by equens, Nov 2, 2004.

1. equens

equens Well-Known Member

I have Mailscanner + ClamAv in servers but we know the new problems with CPanel and this configuration. We are searching for other Antivirus Solutions but seems that Exiscan+Clam+Exim Autoinstaller is out of date :

I can understand that Exiscan+Clam+Exim Autoinstaller works great in cpanel servers and it is free, but like I said, it seems to be out of date, and will it due to regular work of its author.

.... Why cpanel does not support Antivirus Solution? We must fight virus in mail every day and cpanel knows it but it does not offer any solution!!!

2. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

Thats why you have clamavconnector....

3. equens

equens Well-Known Member

Thanks damainman, do you use ClamAvconector? If not, can anyone respond these questions?

Will ClamAvconector scan viruses in mail automatically or only from cpanel?
    Can users activate or deactivate ClamAvconector from cpanel?
    Can users redirect o delete infected emails or suspicious infected emails?

Thanks again!!

4. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

5. kmsd

kmsd Well-Known Member

6. cretu

cretu Well-Known Member

Hi,

Have anyone tried this already? If yes, what are you experiences with various platforms?

I am eager to hear the opinions.

Regards,
    Cretu

7. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I tried it on Linux9 for 2 weeks with no single problem.
    :)

8. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

What exactly does this mean ? ;)

9. kmsd

kmsd Well-Known Member

hehehe, I was flabbergasted by the length of the document! :p

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There are no problems currently with MailScanner and ClamAV with cPanel servers at all at present, especially if you're using this distribution:
    http://www.webumake.com/free/mailscanner.htm

11. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

There are 2 major problems when using mailscanner:
    1. cPanel don't support it. I used MailScanner at least a year, and at least 2 times email get stuck in the queue as a result of cPanel change, and software upgrade. And many times after restart exim, email don't delivery and need to manually restart MailScanner.
    2. Performance. Servers keep overload especially with SpamAssassin v3. After change to Exiscan, performance increase dramatically.

12. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're passionate about Exiscan. Now, why don't you make your solution work with regular ClamAV instead of the problematic Clamavconnector and improve your installation instructions? Make sure we can control virus scanning and file types per account. You're close to a good solution. Work on improving it instead of campaigning against MailScanner. After all, if we gave up every program that is sometimes broken by a CPanel change we would have to give up a lot of them. Also, current MailScanner with clamavmodule and the split dir Exim is taking up a lot less resources than you probably think. But, I would still like to see your solution developed further.

13. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

1. True, the don't activily support it. However, they are continuing to include and maintain the scripts necessary to run it on a cPanel server. This is a silly argument anyway. If you followed that through, I could say that you're making a mistake using rvskins because cPanel don't support your themes!

2. You didn't configure MailScanner properly then. MailScanner can run even on heavily loaded servers with a tiny amount of tweaking. This high load thing is a thing of the past, with the latest versions of MailScanner and ClamAV that point is now moot.

Just because yo've brought out your own solution, there really is no need to go around bashing another one when there are plenty of server admins around that much prefer one solution over another.

14. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You make me laugh. :D I am also love Mailscanner and use it in other projects. But for cPanel server and Exim, I prefer to avoid it.

I do optimize MailScanner in every way, my server just handle too much emails. MailScanner might a best for some servers, but don't mine.

I don't intend to offend anyone. I just give my opinion. You said it doesn't have problem with MailScanner, but I think it do compare to exiscan.

15. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I misunderstood, but I thought exiscan was much lighter and much less resource consuming, exactly because it did not allow per-account control, and that this was a design decision, not something that could be changed?
    (I use it, and it does the job that's required of it, as far as I'm concerned, but I wasn't aware this finite control was something that could be hoped for.)

Thank you for reading me, and contributing your thoughts

16. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It used to be. But with the way SpamAssassin v3 works and cPanel have it implemented, it's arguable that the exiscan+spamassassin solution is indeed more resource hungry with a correctly tuned MailScanner installation, IMX.

17. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You can change the line
    av_scanner = clamd:/var/clamd
    And point to your own clamd.

Do you have any references?
    The reason I have to move to Exiscan because MailScanner+SA3 that consume a lot CPU. After moved, it works a lot better.

18. s55

s55 Member

Well, in my server the Mailscanner was installed by my host (Dinix) and for every cPanel update Mailscanner break...

What solutions of e-mail virus filtring do you recommend?!I need a stable one, a per-account-enable/disable, uses less resources and everyday update will be nice...a stable one for cPanel will be more than great :p

19. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I said Exim+Exiscan, but Chirpy said Exim+Mailscanner.
    You have to make decisions.

I used to install Mailscanner and have problem, now I move to Exiscan, so far it work well.

20. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    And we're ALL going to be in trouble when CPANEL switches to Qmail instead of EXIM. ;)

The point is, there are NO guarantees with either method. Something could happen to break either one. If you can't live with that, DON'T INSTALL EITHER ONE.

If all you want is antivirus scanning and you don't mind a complete lack of configurability or if the MailScanner install scares you, then go with exiscan.

If you want the extra power (like the ability to scan and disable other sorts of mail-based threats like web bugs, phishing mail, dangerous attachments, etc.) and configurability that MailScanner brings to the party, then go with MailScanner. I've put together some directions that cover how to get MailScanner and ClamAV working together in conjuction with Chirpy's MailScanner installer script. I've updated it to include what to look for/what to do if you have installed MailScanner or ClamAV using an alternate method in the past. I also discuss the MailScanner.conf file so you can get the most out of MailScanner.

http://captainshareware.com/AutomatedMailScannerInstall.txt

I can confirm that it is VERY possible to use MailScanner on a celeron server with only 512 MB of RAM without having it overload your system. The key is in the configuration.

Chirpy is committed to keeping his MailScanner script updated and working with CPANEL and I am sure that Pairote is committed to his exiscan directions, so you can't loose either way, really.