The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really odd problems after upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mediaman2, Oct 15, 2004.

1. mediaman2

mediaman2 Member

First Thanks to all here in the forums and at Cpanel. I have been using Cpanel almost 3 years with almost no problems that I didn't cause. I resently upgraded to 9.7.2 and updated apache then some things were odd.

I am running

WHM 9.7.2 cPanel 9.7.7-R15
    RedHat Enterprise 3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

First mysql,ftpd,exim and exim stats failed. I changed ftp server to proftp and it was fine.

The others give this error message. This the mysql error but all the services say the same thing.

/bin/ps: error while loading shared libraries: libproc.so.2.0.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory /bin/ps: error while loading shared libraries: libproc.so.2.0.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

mysql status

/bin/ps: error while loading shared libraries: libproc.so.2.0.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory mysql has failed, please contact the sysadmin (result was "mysql is not running").

I read some of the other mysql forum threads to find the solution then more wierdness insued. When I tried to ssh into the server using putty my root password is not excepted, however I can log into whm using the same user: root and pass.

I can login to ssh on putty with one of my accounts and with the primary user but cant run scripts.

I really need mysql running again and I dont what to do about not being to access the server as root in putty.

I am not a pro so I may be doing something wrong.

Please help

2. minotauro

minotauro Well-Known Member

Hello,

Well, possible your server has been hacked. Get rkhunter (http://www.rkhunter.org) and pass in your server. Good luck!

Regards,
    Minotauro.

3. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

That advice is not going to help someone who cannot logon to install/run rkhunter. ;)

Are you able to su to root using that user logon? You may have to add the user to the wheel group via WHM. That should allow you do further evaluation.

You might also consider upgrading to the latest stable release. There has been a problem with mysql that upgrading may take care of for you.

4. mediaman2

mediaman2 Member

No Luck

I updated to WHM 9.9.0 and the same problems exist.

Mysql,Postgresql,eximstats,syslogd fail in whm.

I can not log in ssh in root. I can ssh in an account name I have created but can not run scripts. Get permission denied error.

I don't know what su means....sorry.

What next?

Lonney

5. webits

webits Well-Known Member

I've been reading some other post seems other people are having the same issue they can't login to ssh.

You could of been hacked always create a wheel group.
    Here is a link that might be helpful in secure your box
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=27627&highlight=Security+APF

Please contact your NOC and notify them about your problem. So it can get resolved.

Have you tried

/scripts/updatenow
    /scripts/upcp --force

#5 webits, Oct 16, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  6. mediaman2

mediaman2 Member

Still tryin

Ok I read other forums and found out what su was. Yes I can su to root from another account.

I have ran

/scripts/updatenow
    /scripts/upcp

The same error showed up with all the services that are not running on the server as mentioned above. It looks like this

/bin/ps: error while loading shared libraries: libproc.so.2.0.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory /bin/ps: error while loading shared libraries: libproc.so.2.0.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have removed the " mark from around user name and password in /root/.my.cnf

I have changed the root password in mysql restarted it and verified the password change still the same.

Getting mysql back up is a priority but this is real odd and would like to get back to normal.

Any idea's?

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, if you're on a Linux server, you could try re-applying the procps RPM which is includes that missing library. If you have up2date:

up2date --get procps
    rpm -Uvh --force /var/spool/up2date/procps*.rpm

It's odd that that should disappear, though, and you should make sure that you don't have any rootkits installed.

8. mediaman2

mediaman2 Member

THAT DID IT!!!!! WOW THANKS.

I ran the above and all services except postgresql are showing to be up and running in WHM. I would like to it going also even though I have never used it in 3 years.

Anyone have a sugestion on it?

Also I ran rkhunter with no problems to report.

Thanx again all

Lonney Self

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you're not using it yet, you could do:

/scripts/installpostgres

10. mediaman2

mediaman2 Member

I already have postresql on my box, I have not ever used but none the less I would like to get it working. Is there a sugested way if I already have it but it doesn't work.

Also what do I do about not being able to sign in to my server as root. I have to su from another account ?

Thanks again for all the help.

11. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Whether you have postgres installed or not, if you're not yet actually using databases on it yet, you can run that script (if you run the scripts it explains it to you) before continuing.

Having SSH root logins disabled is considered a security layer. However, if you really want to enable it so that you can login directly, then you should edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and change:

PermitRootLogin yes

to:

#PermitRootLogin yes

Then restart the SSH daemon:

/etc/init.d/sshd restart

Stay logged in, and also start a new SSH connection and try logging in as root. If that works, you can logout of the old one. If it doesn't work, try logging in how you used to - into a user account. The idea is to not get locked out of your own server - care is needed.

12. mediaman2

mediaman2 Member

Thanks So Much

Ok, I get it ,I read the secure your box string and I think I will leave the layer in. It is obvious it is more secure. Thank you for all your help. I ran the postgresql script and did what it said no problems.....all is 100 % again

THANKS AGAIN