The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really strange problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by techark, Jul 6, 2002.

1. techark

techark Well-Known Member

I changed the hostnome on a server it ran all day no problems everything looked good. Then all of the sudden when I created a new account it stopped serving web pages. I rebooted thru the APC, got mails saying apache and named had failed. So I go in thru the shell and do a /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart and it says Apache is running so I tired a graceful still no web pages. Then I restarted named same thing it it stops and retarts no problem . Still no web pages.

So I tired the IP number and boom the web page loads??? So I go back into WHM from the IP and changed the host name back, boom I am serving pages again?

I also ran configtest it came back syntax OK.

Looking at the error logs nothing looks out of place.

Anybody have any ideas or seen anything like this before. Hate to have this happen again.

2. testudo

testudo Active Member

I know one thing you must do is edit the zone file of the new host name so that it resolves to the main IP of the server.

3. techark

techark Well-Known Member

Did that. I think I may have figured it out tho, I think the original zone file did not get changed so it had conflicting info, the old zone file was still in there and then I added the new one so they clashed.

All I can figure at this point.

But thanks for the reply.