Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Reason why SpamAssassin detected message as spam?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by jmginer, Feb 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jmginer

jmginer Well-Known Member

Hello, in order to improve the content of the e-mail and reduce the spam score, it's possible to see the values that SpainAssasin has taken to determine that a e-mail is considered as spam?

In /var/log/exim_mainlog I only see:

"SpamAssassin as xxx detected message as spam (5.4)"

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can view the header of an individual email in your email or webmail client to see information about how SpamAssassin scored a message.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jmginer

Sorry, I forgot to say that I mean on outgoing messages.

On Exim config, I have:

Code:
    Scan outgoing messages for spam and reject based on defined Apache SpamAssassin™ score = 5
    So, the message is not sent.

Is for this reason that I want to know how spamassasin has scored the message, to know what I need to modify to ensure that it will delivered.

There is some option to show SpamAssasin logs? or add more verbosity on exim_mainlog?

Thanks!

4. SB-Nick

SB-Nick Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I can't think of an easier way than calling spamassassin directly and see the score printed on console, just save the message source (headers and body) somewhere in your server and run:

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/spamassassin -D < /path/to/the/spam.mail

cPanelMichael likes this.
  5. jmginer

How? if the mail is refused by the server...

6. SB-Nick

SB-Nick Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can retrieve the email you tried to send by going to your Sent folder for either POP3/Webmail, it should be there despite the mail server refusing it from sending.

7. jmginer

That depends if the aplication used to send the e-mail it's configured to store a copy of the e-mail in the "Sent" folder. Wich is not my case, because my customer is using some strange application based in Windows with a SMTP configuration and don't stores any copy in the Sent folder.

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could check future messages by enabling the "Archive" feature in cPanel for the account facing the issue to ensure a copy of one of the affected messages is stored on the account:

Archive - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

9. jmginer

The e-mail message never appears in the archive, because is refused by the server.
    This is the reason that I opened this post...

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Thank you for clarifying the issue. As I understand, you are seeking the data that's typically included in the message header of an email that is scanned by SpamAssassin. Exim doesn't include this information in the message header if it's rejected at SMTP time. However, you can view the general message header information (e.g. subject, user-agent, content type) for messages that Exim rejects in the following log file:

/var/log/exim_rejectlog

Thank you.

11. jmginer

Hello, we're still fighting with this kind of issues.

Please, include some option to store Spamassassin debug logs for outgoing e-mails.
    If an e-mail is discarded because is cosidered as spam, will be good to know the exact reason,
    something like to know the rule names that the e-mail filter hits:

Code:
      pts rule name              description
     ---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
      5.0 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%
      1.2 URIBL_ABUSE_SURBL      Contains an URL listed in the ABUSE SURBL blocklist
      0.6 URIBL_PH_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the PH SURBL blocklist
      4.5 URIBL_DBL_SPAM         Contains a spam URL listed in the Spamhaus DBL blocklist
      0.1 URIBL_SBL_A            Contains URL's A record listed in the Spamhaus SBL blocklist
      1.6 URIBL_SBL              Contains an URL's NS IP listed in the Spamhaus SBL blocklist
      1.5 SPF_SOFTFAIL           SPF: sender does not match SPF record (softfail)
      1.0 BAYES_999              BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99.9 to 100%
      0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
      0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY      Informational: message has unparseable relay lines
      2.0 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to internal network by a host with no rDNS

12. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I encourage you to open a feature request for the option to retain that data via our feature request website:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.