The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reboot or Restart Apache

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by server_guy, Apr 26, 2003.

1. server_guy

server_guy Registered

Does anyone else out here have any problems where you have to restart apache from time to time?

It has beed several times now in the past few weeks that I needed to restart apache, we lose all access to clients web sites.

There must be some reason this is happening, never had it before at the other ISP I was at but I was not using Cpanel before.

Any ideas out there?

- Richard:confused:

2. bmcclure

bmcclure Well-Known Member

Well, what you restart apache you need to wait for it to start again first ;-) OK, but seriously. once it restarts, what can you access? Have you checked the virtual sites listed in your httpd.conf file? When you restart Apache, any changes in that file take effect, so if the users got removed from there soemhow, they would be disabled after you restart Apache.

Just an idea.

3. server_guy

server_guy Registered

Hi

What is happening here is that all sites are working just fine and no problems and then one day I find out the sites (ALL) are down and not viewable anymore. So I was told to do a reboot or restart of apache and when I do that all come back up and it can run for another week or so then same thing again happens.

I am new to Cpanel just a month or so, was using Plesk for several years.

So this is all new to me, but like it so far, except for ths happening.

- Richard

4. bmcclure

bmcclure Well-Known Member

Hm, that is very odd. I'm pretty new to CPanel myself, as well.

Anything in your /var/log/messages file? Did you check your Apache log files as well? It mus tbe running into some kidn of error. The only other thing I could think of is system resources. How's your server load?

Have you tried restarting CPanel completely?

5. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

When the sites go down, does the "Service Status" show a red or green light for apache? Apache does crash once in a while but should automatically restart. It sounds like your not getting auto restart.

6. casey

casey Well-Known Member

This problem happens from time to time on my server, too. About once a week. No errors in the error log, and the green light in WHM is on, but all sites are unavailable. I did a cron job to restart apache every 10 minutes, and I haven't had any problems since. I don't like that solution very much, but I can't afford to have the sites down without knowing it.

7. server_guy

server_guy Registered

casey

That is maybe what I should do too, there has to be some thing in the cpanel with a problem.

Oh well, thanks all for your help here.

- Richard

8. Finkinstein

Finkinstein Well-Known Member

Apache restart every 10 minutes?

Hrrm... sounds bad, try contacting cpanel support or something.
    Are you sure it's definately apache? You said that the green light was on.

9. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem. Today was the second time it happened. I found out more than 45 minutes after it first went down, getting emails from some of my clients. I dont want to restart apache every 10 minutes...

10. elleryjh

Here's what happens:

[Sun Apr 27 15:13:12 2003] [notice] SIGUSR1 received. Doing graceful restart
    [Sun Apr 27 15:13:13 2003] [warn] NameVirtualHost 162.42.212.xxx:80 has no VirtualHosts
    [Sun Apr 27 15:13:13 2003] [warn] NameVirtualHost 162.42.212.xxx:80 has no VirtualHosts
    [Sun Apr 27 15:13:13 2003] [notice] Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) mod_attach/0.9 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.0 PHP/4.3.1 FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6b configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Sun Apr 27 15:13:13 2003] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/local/apache/bin/suexec)
    [Sun Apr 27 15:13:13 2003] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
    [Sun Apr 27 15:13:15 2003] [warn] [csd] filedescriptor (1024) larger than FD_SETSIZE (1024) found, you probably need to rebuild Apache with a larger FD_SETSIZE

Then it repeats that message twice every second for 45 minutes, until I restart via WHM.

Do you recommend that I rebuild Apache? What command(s) should I run?

11. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Restarting Apache solves the problem, so I am assuming that it's Apache. The sites go down without warning. I could be sleeping when they go down, so I can't afford to test things out.

12. elleryjh

how do I do that? I know how to run easyapache, but I dont know how to specify that option.

13. harbornetworks

I have noticed apache crashing a lot lately also. I have noticed it has something to do witht the parent server generations. Whenever it seems to reach 1000 it crashes. Why is this? I know it restarts every 10 mins for bandwidth purposes, but is this really necessary? Can't there just be a script that runs and removes the execute rights on the offending domain rather than restarting apache?

14. elleryjh

I reinstalled apache, but I also setup a php script that runs every 10 minutes to detect if apache is running. It checks to see if a test file is available through fopen("http..."). If not, it restarts apache and emails me. So far, it hasn't caught any crashes. Hopefully it wont. Thanks

15. meweb

meweb Well-Known Member