The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reboot WHM not wirking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ozzieonline, Dec 29, 2012.

1. ozzieonline

ozzieonline Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

If I try to do a reboot in WHM nothing seems to happen. On the screen this message appears:

"A forced reboot is now in progress... "

And that's it. From that moment on I can't reach my websites anymore. They don't respond. WHM also doesn't respond. 15 Minutes later I still can't reach my websites. The only thing I can do is log in to Power Panel and (re)start the VPS. Than all of my websites start working immediately.

What's going on?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm not sure what a power panel is, but the rest as you describe it, is normal. Depending on the server itself, the time the server is down may vary a bit. But that's what a reboot does.

You should rarely ever have to reboot, and if you do, you really shouldn't need to do a forced reboot. Ever, IMHO.

3. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks Infopro. (I was trying to reboot beacuse I was trying to change the e-mail address on an error page. I thought that maybe I had to restart the server for my changes to take effect.)

"Depending on the server itself, the time the server is down may vary a bit. But that's what a reboot does."

Yes, the server is down... but it doesn't seem to come alive! So I reboot it... and then I can't request any of my websites anymore. The screen stays blank. 15 minutes later I can't still reach my websites. The only thing I can do is log in to Power Panel (screenshot) and press "Start Container" to start my websites again. I don't think this is how it should be... As soon as I press "proceed" in WHM (to start the reboot) it looks like the server "locks" or something. I do not see anything happening on the screen. All I see is "A forced reboot is now in progress... " and after that nothing seems to happen anymore. Could it be that I've disabled a setting in WHM that causes the server not to reboot anymore?

4. quietFinn

quietFinn Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I tested this and if I did "Forceful Server Reboot" the server didn't restart, I had to restart it in Parallels Power Panel, but if I did "Graceful Server Reboot" it rebooted normally.

5. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for confirming this quietFinn!!

With the graceful reboot did you get a message in WHM saying that the reboot has completed?

If I do a graceful reboot in WHM a message appears on the screen: "A reboot is now in progress... "
    At that point I can't reach my websites anymore, but after a few minutes I can reach them again. However, WHM doesn't give some sort of confirmation that the server has rebooted. All I see is "A reboot is now in progress... " Can you confirm this?

I'm glad (although that sounds a bit strange) that you had to restart the server in Power Panel as well after the Forceful server reboot. I think it's a bug then!

6. quietFinn

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is how it works, when you reboot the server from WHM it's a process WHM can not control.

7. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Allright. Still strange though the forceful reboot doesn't work correctly.

Is a reboot in Power Panel the same as a reboot in WHM? Does it have the same effect?

8. quietFinn

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Use Forceful Server Reboot only if Graceful Server Reboot does not work.

9. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ah, allright... still strange though that forceful reboot doesn't work. Anyhow, I don't think that you ever have to reboot under normal circumstances just like Infopro said.

I still wonder though if a reboot in Power Panel is the same as a reboot in WHM?

10. quietFinn

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No it is not, reboot in WHM means reboot of the operating system, reboot in Power Panel means reboot of the container, which is pretty much the same as power off-power on in a dedicated server.

11. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Allright. Under normal circumstances if your websites become unreachable, which is the best reboot? The WHM reboot or the Power Panel reboot?

(I do still think it's strange the forceful reboot doesn't work. Is it a bug?)

12. quietFinn

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1st you try Graceful Server reboot, if that does not work, you try Forceful Server Reboot, and if that does not work either you try PowerPanel reboot.

13. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Allright, hope I never have to restart :)
    Thanks quietFinn!

14. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Rebooting a Linux server is not necessary when changing most settings.

In general, the only times you should ever need to reboot a Linux server are:

1. After updating the kernel.

2. If the server is completely unresponsive.

Linux is very different from Windows. It can start, stop and restart services reliably. Unlike Windows, it is not necessary to reboot for changes in settings to take effect. Instead, you can restart individual services, and even that is not always necessary. For example, changing an e-mail address on an error page should not be necessary, since the error page will be loaded fresh each time it is accessed.

There are some very rare special exceptions to my two general rules (such as defunct processes, or if a hard drive is filled up, you delete data, and the drive is still reported to be full), but those exceptions are very isolated and almost never encountered. Rebooting a Linux server should not be routine and is not required after most changes of settings.

In reference to your other thread:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f185/change-e-mail-address-313431.html

At most, httpd needed to be restarted. There was no need to reboot the whole server. I wanted to mention this to save you some time and effort in the future.

15. ozzieonline

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you Jared. I appreciate it. I couldn't change the e-mail address, because (I think) the httpd.conf file was not regenerated correctly. I deleted the old e-mail address in the file and regenerated again. Then it worked nice.

Strange thing is that the forceful reboot didn't work. That seems to be a bug.