The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receive Email But Not Send from Email Address

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by kenmorgan, Feb 27, 2016.

1. kenmorgan

kenmorgan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a VPS with several Web sites, each a separate account created by WHM. For several of those Web sites, I have created an email account for me to use--e.g., xxxxxx@domain.com. All these email addresses, of course, will use the same SMTP server on the VPS for outgoing mail.

Is there any way to configure things (Exim?) so that these email addresses can receive mail but not send it?

Thanks so much.

Ken

#1 kenmorgan, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Create a forward instead of an actual email account.

3. kenmorgan

kenmorgan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't quite follow this. Forwarding requires a domain email account that receives messages to forward--unless I'm missing something.

I should have mentioned the whole purpose for my question in my first post. My VPS has been hacked, and is apparently sending out who-knows-what kind of emails. My IP address (which, of course, is used by all the email accounts I set up for each Web site) was blocked by AT&T (bellsouth.net) and then Microsoft (hotmail.com). I've gotten them to lift the block, but I must get to the bottom of this and stop it. Many people and businesses have my email addresses based on my Web site domain names. To avoid trying to remember everyone I would need to contact if I shut down those email addresses, I thought the simplest solution would be to configure Exim to receive but not to send any emails. When I receive legitimate emails, I can answer them using my gmail account.

Thanks again for the help.

Ken

4. kenmorgan

kenmorgan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is very strange. I posted my reply to Infopro, but when I look at the E-mail forum, it still lists only 1 reply to my original post, namely, Infopro. It should list me as the reply 2 so others can see that I responded to Infopro, and that I likely have more questions.

I tried to find a forum moderator to send a private message to about this, but couldn't find a moderator or a way to send a private message to anyone! How does one do these things?

Thanks.

Ken

5. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Thats me. New users posts are moderated. :)

If you suspect your account is compromised, changing the email address won't be of much use.

If your email address is user@example.com and you want to remove that email address from sending email, but still get email that's sent to it, delete the account, create a forward instead to push email sent to it, to another email address.

6. kenmorgan

kenmorgan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, I wouldn't have believed it! I first deleted the email address using "Email Accounts" on the cPanel for that Web site, and then set up a forward for the address that no longer exists. I did an experiment, and it worked! :) I had thought that an incoming email to an address that doesn't exist would simply bounce back to sender without even getting in the "front door" of the VPS. So thanks so much for this simple solution.

But now another question. I'm going to do this for every email address I currently have that were set up on the cPanels for the various Web sites. This means (I think!) that there will be no email accounts anywhere on the entire VPS. Does this mean that a hacker would be completely unable to send out emails from my IP (i.e., the IP address of my VPS)???

Ken

7. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Happy to help. :)

No. If a bad guy gets on your server, into an account, and uploads a script he can still send email somehow I'm sure.

8. kenmorgan

kenmorgan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Most unfortunate. :(

I was also hoping that by doing this forwarding, I would be able to shut down Exim in Service Manager in WHM. But the forwarding doesn't seem to work when I do that. So Exim is needed to do the forwarding???

9. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  10. kenmorgan

kenmorgan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks so much for all your help.

Ken