The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receive email on behalf of another domain?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by rckit2000, Jun 9, 2006.

1. rckit2000

rckit2000 Registered

Greetings!

I'm trying to allow a few cPanel hosts to receive email on behalf of another domain, process Spam and AV and then forward email.

Basically DomainB.com would accept email for DomainA.com, process SpamD and then forward it to DomainA.com

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

3. rckit2000

rckit2000 Registered

In this example the email would be addressed to domainA.com. and the cPanel server has DomainB.com

What I ultimately want to do is intercept email for DomainA and filter it - and then forward it on to the mail server where users would access their mailboxes for DomainA.com.

My problem is in one of two areas: either I can accept email easily (cPanel host is called domainA.com, but have a problem forwarding email to the "real" mail server for DomainA

OR

Have a problem accepting email on behalf of DomainA but have an easy time forwarding it on to the "real" mail server for DomainA

I should add that I am not relying on DNS services from the cPanel host for external (the World) name resolution. I have tried manipulating the internal DNS, but have not figured out how to get it working.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on how to solve this problem.

4. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Hold on a minute then...

Why do we need to forward the messages at all?

Let's see if I understand the situation:

1) domainA.com - the default email server does not have the scanning/filtering capabilities you want. It is not a cPanel server.

2) you have a cPanel server that *does* have the filtering you need.

If the above is correct, you simply need to let the cPanel server act as the mail server for domainA.com by setting the MX entries and such:

In the DNS zone for domainA.com, create an MX record with the name of your cPanel server, such as mail.domainB.com and give it a small number, say 5. (there shouldn't be a number smaller if you have multiple MX entries)

On your cPanel server, create an account with the same attributes as domainA.com.... in essence, you'll have domainA.com hosted in two places, using HTTP on one and POP/IMAP/SMTP on the other.

You may have to make other changes to both servers depending on what OS, etc. that tells them whether or not email traffic should leave the box.

Confused? :D

5. rckit2000

rckit2000 Registered

You are correct up to a point.

The "real" mail server is MS Exchange on Small Business Server that is on the local LAN. It is used extensively for internal communications that are somewhat sensitive. Internal emails cannot be run against an external mail server because of privacy concerns.

Client is a charity that has no budget for Exchange tools for spam and AV filtering of inbound Internet email.

I thought I could filter their inbound mail for AV and spam with a cPanel host and then forward the <mostly> cleaned email on to the exchange server. I could have Exchange only accept inbound email from the cPanel host.

Desktop machines have a good commercial AV package - but that is all their budget can afford.

It seems unlikely that I can get the email off the cPanel host, because the host must have the "domainA" as a localdomain and I cannot forward to "domainA" if it is local.

A catch 22.