The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receive email through server, main site on Shopify

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by fpena911, Aug 1, 2015.

1. fpena911

fpena911 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have an eCommerce site that I just started on Shopify. I'm running into issues with the settings for email/cpanel access with the site now on Shopify.

I created an A record that redirects to the store but then when I do that I can't access my cpanel and I stopped receiving emails. If I then create another A record with an asterisk (*) going to the mail server's IP address it will then redirect to the index.html of the old server instead of the eCommerce site.

How do I set this up so that the main URL goes to Shopify but all others go to the server with the mail system and Cpanel?

Thanks!

2. fpena911

fpena911 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Well after playing with it for a while I was able to get the email working properly!

But now I'd like to know, how can I still get to the cPanel when the website is pointing to Shopify? I want to still be able to make changes to my email settings if I have to. But right now I get a 404 if I try to log into mysite.com/cpanel or mysite.com:2082.

Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks again!

3. 24x7ss

24x7ss Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi :),

As your website is at Shopify, you can access the cPanel using the URL : http://cpanel.yourdomain.com
    Its A record is already set in the DNS zone by default. If its not there, then you can create such A record and point it to your cPanel server IP. Regarding mails, just create A record for mail pointing to cPanel server and then setup MX record pointing to mail.yourdomain.com

mail >>> A record >>> <server ip>
    yourdomain.com. >>> MX record >>> mail.yourdomain.com.

4. fpena911

fpena911 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you! I did get the mail to work but still trying to figure out the cPanel portion of it. Thankfully I can still get into Cpanel because this is a VPS so I use another domain's access with the username for this site, but it's just not as convenient.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can also access cPanel directly over the IP Address. Or, as mentioned, you can add the "A" record for "cpanel" at the DNS host of the domain name so it resolves to the IP address.

Thank you.