Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Received email: *** SECURITY information for servername.com

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by joel69, Sep 13, 2005.

1. joel69

joel69 Active Member

I received this as an email from our cPanel server. What the heck does it mean:

Code:
    servername.com : Sep 12 18:17:41 : username : user NOT in sudoers ; TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/username/public_html/bbs/data ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/bin/bash

I've searched through this forum and the cpanel instructions, but I couldn't find it. :confused: Any information or links to documentation would be appreciated. Thanks.

(PS: I changed the server's name and user's name for privacy).

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Sudo is a program that lets users perform commands as if they had su'd to a different user.

I reckon that the user 'username' tried to use sudo to perform a command as the user 'root' whilst in /home/username/public_html/bbs/data.

This warning is telling you that this request was denied as the user 'username' is not listed in the sudoers file.

Have a Google around for 'sudoers' to find out more about this file and how to configure it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...