The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiving Spam

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by radar81, Feb 19, 2015.

1. radar81

radar81 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I am new to administering a mail server. My websites and mail were previously through Bluehost shared, and were using this TXT record (which I do not understand): Screenshot (559).png

Recently, the websites and mail were migrated to a GoDaddy VPS. Since DNS changed, there has been a huge increase in spam being received by several email accounts. I have been reading a bit about SpamCop and Apache SpamAssassin™. I read that SpamCop could be too aggressive and has the potential to filter out legitimate emails. What do you all recommend? Please bear in mind I am a newbie to all this, thanks!

Radar

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I suggest enabling SpamAssassin and reviewing the following thread for information on how to help prevent SPAM:

Additional Spam Prevention Options

Also, the following document lists some additional options you can enable to help prevent SPAM:

Exim - ACL Options

Thank you.

3. radar81

radar81 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Michael,

Thanks for the reply. I enabled SpamAssassin, and after a 24 hour trial, it did not sufficiently prevent SPAM. In fact, I cannot see that it had any effect.

I will enable SpamCop today and give this a trial run.

Best,
    Dave

4. radar81

radar81 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    SpamCop seems to be working effectively at filtering out Spam. I am just hoping that it's not filtering out false positives.

5. radar81

radar81 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Update: SpamCop is actually not effectively filtering out SPAM. I have changed my SpamAssassin reject score to 3.

I don't understand why so much SPAM is getting through. Do you think a SpamAssassin reject score of 3 will be sufficient? Can someone please explain what I need to do to block the SPAM?

6. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you have SPF and DKIM enabled in exim config, although I think DKIM is actually for outgoing email to verify you are who you say you are, but it all helps.
    You can also add additional RBL's to the RBL list, I've added Barracuda.

What scores are you receiving.

We had an email account at work, which no matter what we did was receiving a high level of spam.
    In the end we had to dump that email address and create the lady a new one, only making it a little harder to guess.

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can view the header of a message that made it through to see what the SPAM score was. This will help you determine if changing your reject score will make a difference. You may need to browse to "WHM Home » Service Configuration » Exim Configuration Manager" and consider enabling the following options under the "ACL Options" tab:

"Reject SPF failures"
    "Allow DKIM verification for incoming messages"
    "Reject DKIM failures"

Thank you.