Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Recommended DNS setup

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by TMM, Jan 19, 2009.

1. TMM

TMM Registered

Hi,

We have just set up a new WHM/Cpanel server, and need to set up DNS servers for reliability and speed.

We do have 2 IPs pointing at the box, and it seems to be more or less standard practice to use ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com, both located on the very same server.

However, I presume it would be better to have at least one DNS server in another location. What would you recommend?

Regards,

TMM

2. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For reliability we run our 2nd and 4th nameserver on another box (a cheap VPS box) in case named is down or flooded, but for a few years we did just run it on one server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TMM

TMM Registered

Hi,

Does one have to use the clustering feature in order to do this, or can one simply set up a slave DNS outside of using Cpanel?

4. ManuelT

ManuelT Well-Known Member

While it's possible to run both on one server i really wouldn't recommend it.

The only experience i have is with using the free DNS-only WHM product which does the job fine, but i imagine that you could run the secondard DNS server without it.