The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Mail Scanner

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ntwaddel, Oct 4, 2005.

1. ntwaddel

ntwaddel Well-Known Member

I am giving up on trying to get amavisd-new to work with exim. I keep running into a looping problem. All i want is basically a good content filter that does virus scanning, etc. Like amavisd-new blocks out all those ebay phishing scams, etc and i use clamav with it. What do you guys recommend that works great with exim4 and cpanel?

2. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I use MailScanner from Chirpy's website very successfully...

#2 jandafields, Oct 4, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

4. morfargekko

morfargekko Member

Buying MailScanner from Chirpy was one of the best things I have done! Spam down to allmost nothing and no viruses after installation. My clients just LOOOOVE it! :)

5. VultureCP

VultureCP Member

I had my install done by Chirpy about 2 months ago and now it seems like ever so often the MailScanner and MailWatch don't communicate I just reissue and upgrade with the provided package and it fixes... but I don't want to have to keep doing that. Anyone know what might be causing this? I am figuring cpanel updates, but I don't know how to prevent it.

**EDIT**

Let me clarify this does not affect mail on the server when this happens. Also for the record $35 for a service like this is a steal you get a nice user interface on cpanel that you can't without having him install it.

#5 VultureCP, Oct 4, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  6. nisse

nisse Well-Known Member

I've had this happen a couple of times - MailWatch just seems to stop doing anything. Killing the MailWatch process that's running and then restarting MailScanner seems to fix it.

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup, the new MailWatch systems can sometimes get a bit upset if and when MySQL is restarted. As nisse says, killing off "MailWatch SQL" usually resolves that issue and it doesn't affect the actual scanning and delivery process at all.

8. jenlepp

jenlepp Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    MailScanner Question

I installed this myself earlier today and it does seem to be working really well - however, I'm having a problem with it and before I shell out money to have Chirpy install it across all four of my servers, I wanted to find out if any of you saw this issue, and knew why this was happening.

After installation, I have 3 email boxes out of hundreds that are not getting mail delivered. I uninstalled and reinstalled one of them, and no dice. This shows up in the mainlog:

2005-10-09 19:28:01 1EOlWK-0002ss-4f => /dev/null <email@address.net> F=<the@from.email> R=central_filter T=**bypassed** S=0

Like I said, I have only three that are showing this problem, but it is showing it on every email delievered to the email box and a reinstallation of the email account doesn't fix it. If I don't figure it out soon, I'll probably delete the installation and go back to plain old plain old, and I also don't want to spend the money if this is a standard bug without a fix - course, I can't get support until I buy it, which is fine. I just want to see it in action before it shows up in my clients Cpanels and decide to rely on it. :).

So - anyone have experience with this?

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That /dev/null is a filter, either a system filter in /etc/antivirus.exim or in the users account, so isn't a good example. MailScanner logs to /var/log/maillog so you should be able to track an incoming email through exim, mailscanner and back through exim again.

10. Drew Nichols

Drew Nichols Well-Known Member

Where do I find the $35 install? Also, my dual Xeon is handling 50,000+++ mails a day, am I asking for a huge pain? I'm looking at routing all mail through a dedicated server possibly.

11. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  12. BraveX

BraveX Well-Known Member

What commands do you use to kil and restart Mailscanner?

I'm thinking of having Chripy install it on my server and thought it might be useful to have these commands ready in case I need to use 'em.

Thanks.

13. nisse

nisse Well-Known Member

Use "top" to find out the process id that MailWatch is running under, then type "kill " followed by the id.

To restart MailScanner, just type "service MailScanner restart".

14. BraveX

BraveX Well-Known Member

Thanks Nisse!

15. Aric1

Aric1 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    service MailScanner restart will work too in most cases...