The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recompiling ProFTPD?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keyDet79, May 11, 2003.

1. keyDet79

keyDet79 Well-Known Member

We need to recompile proftpd and install it with MySQL modules like this: ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --with-modules=mod_sql:mod_sql_mysql --with-includes=/usr/include/mysql --with-libraries=/usr/lib/mysql

So I was wondering, how do I upgrade proftpd and/or recompile it with these modules, without screwing up the existing ftp configuration and accounts?

I noticed /etc/proftpd.conf does not contain any user accounts, I doubt it even gets read because when I tried to put in a virtual server it didn't work. So where are they located, how do I back them up?

Thanks.

2. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

Proftpd.conf will not contain any accounts unless the site is on its own ip address. Then you will entries in proftpd.conf for that ip. Otherwise, it is most definately being read. Dont delete it. Why would you need to recompile using mysql? :confused: Unless you want to break the functionality of the way cPanel is using proftpd you may recompile it using mysql and thats only if you get the source but i personally would not risk it.

3. keyDet79

keyDet79 Well-Known Member

The MySQL is required for another control panel we're going to use, which is a requirement. It will read user info directly from MySQL. It won't conflict with cPanel according to the coders.

Anyway, we're planning to run a freehost on the same server, I *thought* I set it up on its own IP address, I guess not? Can I still do this without removing the account? How?

Also, in proftpd.conf when I added a virtual host with the same IP as the vhost of the freehost, and added the line ServerName "server name", it still showed [srv.vibehosting.com] behind the ProFTPD 1.2.4 blabla line. So that didn't work.

Anyway, how do I back up Proftpd? Which files?

Thanks.