Record ipv6 AAAA support?

Ganga

Oct 2, 2003
Hello guys, I wanted to ask you if WHM/Cpanel supports record ipv6 AAAA

One of my customers need to know this.

If this is not supported (as I can't see it anywhere in the DNS zones) is this something that:

- either Cpanel will introduce soon

or

- can be managed in a different way by any other record?

Thanks

Ganga

jsteel

Jul 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Originally posted by Ganga
Hello guys, I wanted to ask you if WHM/Cpanel supports record ipv6 AAAA

One of my customers need to know this.

If this is not supported (as I can't see it anywhere in the DNS zones) is this something that:

- either Cpanel will introduce soon

or

- can be managed in a different way by any other record?

Thanks

Ganga
AAAA Records are an old format that is actually being phased out. It has been repalced with A6. There was an issue with A6 recently, but we opened a ticket with support and they now report the latest rlease has that issue fixed (we're testing tonight).

If your customer isn't aware that AAAA is being deprecated and replaced with A6 eventually, then they probably shouldn't be screwing around with IPv6.

FYI, cPanel installs Bind 9, which is what is required for A6 records. Bind 8.1 and lower only support AAAA records.

jsteel

Jul 4, 2002
Atlanta, GA
We just tested it, and now cPanel has added support for AAAA records as well. It appears the AAAA records may be working properly (we are awaiting confirmation from a client) but the A6 still are not at this time.

Ganga

Oct 2, 2003
Thank you!

May I ask what version (build) you are testing, please?

unter

Oct 27, 2003
Re: Re: Record ipv6 AAAA support?

Originally posted by jsteel
AAAA Records are an old format that is actually being phased out. It has been repalced with A6. There was an issue with A6 recently, but we opened a ticket with support and they now report the latest rlease has that issue fixed (we're testing tonight).

If your customer isn't aware that AAAA is being deprecated and replaced with A6 eventually, then they probably shouldn't be screwing around with IPv6.

FYI, cPanel installs Bind 9, which is what is required for A6 records. Bind 8.1 and lower only support AAAA records.
Considering how about only 20% of all IPv6 network services use A6 as their primary lookup record I would suggest keeping AAAA for the time being.

dreamwiz

Aug 28, 2003
could someone paste here an example of their AAAA record? Having problems with one account and AAAA records. Thanks in advance!