The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recovering files deleted using cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gregdowning, Jan 9, 2012.

1. gregdowning

gregdowning Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I just made an incredibly painful mistake. I set up an ftp account w/ access to public_html, I made an error in setting it up and wanted to try again. In cpanel "delete account" and delete account and files" are right next to one another... I hit the wrong button. There is no cancel or undo or interrupt. I immediately called my ISP and they killed cpanel. It looks like this arrested the deletion, however it was running for 10 minutes or so, my last backup is quite old and great deal was lost.

Is there anyway to recover these files? My ISP has been working hard on this problem but have not found a way since it was deleted by cpanel and not the OS.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Your Host does do regular backups, right? You're going to need one. There is no other way to restore deleted files sorry to say.

3. gregdowning

gregdowning Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    No, my host does not do backups. I have a dedicated server and that is not part of the service.

What if we pulled the drive out and took it to a file recovery service wouldn't the files still be there? I thought when a computer deletes a file that it just deletes the link to the file not the actual data.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Of course you can try, why not. As I understand it something like that is expensive though but if you need to, sure look into it.

Deleted is deleted. We've all been there, and then we setup backups to prevent loss ever again.