SOLVED Recreating accounts from folders not packages

columbusgeek

Nov 30, 2007
Hi all.

Historically I set up my servers so the main drive is running WHM and an additional drive is the one holding all the user accounts in /home2.
I had a situation that left my server unbootable but I still have the additional /home2 drive that is mountable.
What is the best course of action to get back up and running quickly?
I currently plan on firing up a new WHM instance and rebuilding but the account import has me scratching my head. In order to rebuild the accounts, it looks like I have to zip each account into a user.tar.gz? Is there a way to mount the /home2 drive and point WHM to those folders and have it rebuild? It's 30+ accounts so the most hands-off approach is what I am hoping for.

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
greenolivetree.net
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Without the main drive, you are missing too much data. For example, all your mysql databases are on the main drive as is all teh cPanel account information files.

I hope you also have backups. Otherwise I would focus on getting that main drive back to a bootable state.

columbusgeek

Nov 30, 2007
I hope you also have backups.
Oh buttloads of backups for sure.

Good point about the DBs. For some reason, I thought they were stored inside the user accounts but now that I think about that it makes no sense. They only get copied there once you do an account package.

Okey dokie, no big deal. Nothing is mission-critical here anyhow.

columbusgeek

Nov 30, 2007
Thanks @cPanelMichael . Yep, I was using that page for sure.

Once I set my /home2 directory I was able to simply use the Backup Restoration to rebuild them all. Didn't take long and wasn't as annoying as I thought it was going to be.

Reactions: cPanelMichael