Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Red Hat 3 with Red Hat 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yurster, Mar 21, 2007.

1. yurster

yurster Member

Hi All,

I have 2 servers running Red Hat Enterprise 3.0 (both with WHM/cPanel of course). They are both setup as nameservers (ns1 and ns2 respectively). I'm looking at replacing ns1 with a larger/faster server. Here is my question...should I upgrade to Red Hat 4.0? How will RH 4.0 interact with my other RH 3 server? Should I just upgrade both of them at the same time?

Thanks a million for any comments.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Running RHEv4 is probably a better idea than staying on RHEv3 if you're moving to a new server as it uses the 2.6 kernel. I don't believe RedHat recommend upgrading the OS from v3 to v4, though, and you should really start with a clean OS installation if you decide to go that route with the non-upgraded server. Bear in mind that support for RHEv3 from RedHat will be around for a few more years to come.

There are no interactivity issues at all between servers running v3 and v4 of RHE.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 chirpy, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  3. yurster

yurster Member

Thanks Chirpy. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll make the move to RHEv4 on the new server.

4. panayot

panayot Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...