The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Hat 3 with Red Hat 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yurster, Mar 21, 2007.

1. yurster

yurster Member

Hi All,

I have 2 servers running Red Hat Enterprise 3.0 (both with WHM/cPanel of course). They are both setup as nameservers (ns1 and ns2 respectively). I'm looking at replacing ns1 with a larger/faster server. Here is my question...should I upgrade to Red Hat 4.0? How will RH 4.0 interact with my other RH 3 server? Should I just upgrade both of them at the same time?

Thanks a million for any comments.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Running RHEv4 is probably a better idea than staying on RHEv3 if you're moving to a new server as it uses the 2.6 kernel. I don't believe RedHat recommend upgrading the OS from v3 to v4, though, and you should really start with a clean OS installation if you decide to go that route with the non-upgraded server. Bear in mind that support for RHEv3 from RedHat will be around for a few more years to come.

There are no interactivity issues at all between servers running v3 and v4 of RHE.

#2 chirpy, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  3. yurster

yurster Member

Thanks Chirpy. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll make the move to RHEv4 on the new server.

4. panayot

panayot Well-Known Member