The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Hat Fedora O.S. Updates ~ Will they crash CPanel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drake, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi All,

I've got one server with FC7 and and .... And Yeah... on this box I didn't do a "minimal O.S. Install" before installing

CPanel. I did a pretty full Fedora install Yup, even have Gnome XFS Graphic Desktop TTY login.

When I log in via TTY, I get message that 247 packages are available for updates. (I just close out the pop-up)

Yes, I have WHM doing regular updates,

But this is the Fedora O.S. asking me if I want to perform the updates to the O.S. Packages.

So here's the question. If I allow Fedora to run it's O.S. Package updates, is it likely to crash CPanel?

I do realize that CPanel installs lots of stuff (such as Apache, and others) in different locations than the O.S.' s standard places.

Ok, yes,I completely admit..... it's a stupid question that has to be asked for a stupid O.S installation, but I'd still like to know if anyone else has been in this situation and what happened to them.

Thanks,
    Drake P.

2. gfisch

gfisch Member

You roll the dice

Howdy,
    I'm not the super-expert but ;)

Cpanel keeps list of packages that it does NOT want you (or yum) to update in /etc/yum.conf
    On my box it says
    exclude=apache* courier* exim* httpd* mod_ssl* mysql* perl* php* proftpd* pure-ftpd* spamassassin* squirrelmail*
    so you CAN run "yum update" and it will exclude these.

Since you have gnome on there, there are way more packages than the average cpanel.
    So, it might be safe to upgrade others....

If this is mission critical to a number of clients. I would only let cpanel do updates. But I also might be looking at
    yum check-update
    and selectively updating things I really needed/wanted to.

OR, better yet, you might try deleting packages you don't need, including gnome and X...

Or, best, reinstall with a minimal OS.

I don't always do what's best for me, but you do what you think is best for you.:D