The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red hat to FreeBSD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hornet, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Hornet

Hornet Member

Hello im about to make the transition to move my customers from a redhat environment to FreeBSD because of the security updates in redhat 7.3 and the fact that I think its not worth the upgrade. However I am interested in knowing if it is as simple as moving my backups to the freebsd environment then using whm to unpack the users. I need to know if its a smooth transition so that I can prepare for the best, anyone who has experienced this please tell me how it went and if you needed todo any special tasks.

Regards,

Troy B

2. compunet2

compunet2 Well-Known Member

I can't say anything about FreeBSD because I dont use it, but I have had to restore a server from backups. The process is slow if you have a lot of accounts (took several hours for me), and you need to keep an eye on it, because sometimes it errors and needs to be restarted from where it left off. Also, make sure your account names dont have any weird characters, like "-" in them. It seems that at some point cpanel supported using "-" in user names, but then stopped supporting it. So those users wont be easily restorable.

Otherwise it works fine. It does restore account, mysql, and from what I can tell, mailing lists, plus all account settings for domain users (although it doesn't restore packages).

3. Hornet

Hornet Member

Thanks for the information. I have realized that too , if you need the packages you cd to /var/cpanel/packages then copy them over and everything works like a charm.

Regards,

HornetHost.com