The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redhat 8.0 gives a 404 error trying to fetch update.db

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bluepine, Apr 6, 2006.

1. bluepine

bluepine Active Member

Hello,
    On one of the servers I have I cannot install RPM using Web Host Manager anymore. When I try to do so I receive the following error:

Error 404 while fetching url http://updates.cpanel.net//pub/rpminstall/redhat-8.0/updates.db

My ISP technical support said it's because redhat 8 is no longer supported but I noticed that the procedure works perfectly on servers with redhat 7.3. Is there something I can do to be able to use that feature again on a redhat 8 server?

Thank you in advance

Stefano

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

I suggest you should check out your server, maybe you cannot resolve domain names. Go to a shell and try to ping something by name and see if you get an ip.

Also check whether named is running on your server.

3. bluepine

bluepine Active Member

Hello,
    I tried that and pings properly (resolves to 198.66.78.12). If I try opening that URL in a browser I get the following error:

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 400 Bad Request
    15:16:24 ERROR 400: Bad Request.

Stefano

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

RedHat v8 support was removed a long time ago - mainly because it was such a poor OS implementation and qas quickly replaced at the tim by RH9. Supported Os's are listed at http://cpanel.net/

Your only realstic recources is to get your OS upgraded to something that is supported. As it stands RH8 OS updates stopped years ago and is likely open to a multitude of security exploits.