The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RedHat 8 or 9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimjoe, Mar 25, 2003.

1. jimjoe

jimjoe Well-Known Member

We have servers on 7.3 redhat. Can they be upgraded to 9 ideally (or minimally 8) without re-formatting the whole drive and losing all the accounts already on the servers?

Thanks!

2. Haddy

Haddy Registered

They make a redhat 9? I thought the latest version was 8....Theres a Mandrake 9 I belive.

3. royisher

royisher Member

Re: Re: RedHat 8 or 9

RH 9 Will be released Next Week

I already got the email to download ISO's :)

4. jimjoe

jimjoe Well-Known Member

so do you think it would be possible to upgrade to 9 without losing all the cpanal configurations and accounts?

5. Emrys

Emrys Member

It is my understanding that the Red Hat "Releases" are just up to date RPM's of the Linux OS. If you update your system regularly with the newest RPM's as they become released, technically you are upgrading through the Red Hat "Releases". So as you installed 7.3, and you upgraded everything as the upgrades came out, then you should be all set.

I believe Red Hat stopped supporting 7.2 and 7.3 because they are so old and that the packages/versions are so outdated that they are security risks. It just makes more sense to release something that has all the fixes in it already then to have to patch up an earlier version.

As Red Hat progresses through the versions their installers usually progress as well, which sorta gives the illusion of a whole new OS, when in fact the latest OS is available the moment a new kernel or packages comes out.

Hope this makes sense.

#5 Emrys, Mar 26, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  6. jimjoe

jimjoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help emrys.

I'm pretty ignorant of stuff, so i don't know what you mean by RPM's being up to date.

I have the latest apache and php versions done thru easyapache.

How would i do this rpm stuff, and if i haven't done it yet, is it better to do these rpm's or just upgrade to v 9 when it's released shortly?

7. Emrys

Emrys Member

Best way to keep up to date is to sign up for the Red Hat Network. If you go to http://rhn.redhat.com and register, you can set your server up to update your profile, and you can keep your system up to date. It's sorta like windowsupdate.com. You would use up2date on your server and it would tell you what you need to update, and you can have it update automatically. But, with Red Hat dropping support for 7.3, you would probably have to update your server manually at some point. And this is where the RPM's come into play. You would just download the appropriate RPM's, and then update your system with them. You would really need to read up on this from their site, as it is a pretty big subject. I couldn't even begin to document it here. I would suggest starting at rhn.redhat.com and then start reading about RPM's in the howto's. Then get a feel for what it's like updating things, and then you should be fine in keeping your server up to date. Then make sure you install the latest version on your new servers, so you can make use of up2dates automatic'ness.

8. jsteel

jsteel Well-Known Member

If you use Chilisoft ASP, don't go to RH8+

Just a somewhat relevant FYI.

If you are planning to or are running Chilisoft ASP (now Sun One Active Server Pages), you should note that it is not compatible with Red Hat 8+. The glibc version required by 8+ is the problem, so beware. Sun has not commented upon when they will have an updated release that supports the newer glibc versions.

Jaz