The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

redhat 99.9% processing kernel problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wyatt12, Dec 18, 2003.

1. wyatt12

wyatt12 Member

After upgrading to latest redhat kernel.... my box is blowing up... I have 4 processes that show up as running 99.9% of the processing time, very often. mysql, httpd, exim, spamd.

I assume I have a bad kernel, I used redhat update. Anyone else experiencing these problems?

Wyatt

2. blaze64

blaze64 Well-Known Member

Yep, I am having the same issue. I am using the RH kernel as well (2.4.20-24.9).

3. purplepaws

purplepaws Well-Known Member

Seeing the same sort of issues on our RH9 boxes as well.

4. Karateka

Karateka Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, the problem doesn't seem to be related to cpanel. I get the same effect on other boxes, but yes, it is a very annoying problem and started with the latest redhat kernel upgrade on redhat9 systems.

5. netwrkr

netwrkr Well-Known Member

Hi,

Can you paste the output of 'uname -a' and briefly describe your server hardware i.e. dual xeon, xx gigs of ram etc?

6. blaze64

Linux box12.XXXX.com 2.4.20-24.9 #1 Mon Dec 1 11:35:51 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

It seems that it is related to RH 9. Everyone else is running RH 9 (including myself).

Did everyone elses box come stock with RH 9 or did you upgrade to RH 9 from RH 7.x?

7. purplepaws

purplepaws Well-Known Member

Linux hostname 2.4.23 #1 Thu Dec 4 13:28:49 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Linux hostname 2.4.20-24.9 #1 Mon Dec 1 11:35:51 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Both Redhat 9 fresh installs in the last few weeks.

Not causing us major problems yet, but a little irritating. CPU use spikes up to 99.9% every minute or so.

8. netwrkr

Are you running single or dual processor boxes? How much RAM is installed? Are the spikes to 99.9% transient in nature or does the process stay at 99.9% for a period of time (5 minutes or longer)?

9. Higgins

Higgins Well-Known Member

We have the same Problem. After the Kernel Upgrade nearly everything on the Server makes realy High Loads

Restarting Proftpd brings the Box to a Load nearly 3

When Looking in MySQL/CPU Usage in WHM nearly every Site on the Server shows a Load from 5-7

Befor the Kernel Upgrade the Box had Performed very well with a average Load from 0,5-0,8 and 120 Users on it. Now we have a Load from 2-4

This is realy ..... :( and i dont know what i can do here.

10. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you would take my advise, move immediately to pureftpd. This is the same thing i noticed on 5 boxes of mine some time back (ard 6 months). Suddenly the load on all these boxes will go sky high and doing a top revealed that proftpd was taking huge resources and memory. Even ps -aux had tons of proftpd instances. I thought it was some kinda attack or something.

I searched everywhere i found nothing to solve this. I then moved the servers to pureftpd and the probs solved immediately on all of them. The clone instances never happend on pureftpd. The load returned to normal.

Try it, you don't loose anything, if it helps, stick to pureftpd.

11. blaze64

As far as the overall load, I had the same problems. Before the kernel, a load of 0.00 - 0.50 with about 250 sites on the box. After the kernel upgrade, it was at 3.0 - 5.0.

After hours and hours and hours... I recompiled apache about 4 times, (recompile...reboot, recompile, reboot) and I finally got the load down to 0.00-1.00 again. Maybe apache wasn't compiling correctly?? I KNOW it wasn't the simple fact that it was rebooted because that was done enough with some bad ram, it had to do with the recompiling of apache.

But, I STILL have the 99.9% spikes for httpd, EXIM, MySQL.

12. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    On the flip side, been 24 hrs now since upgrading from 2.4.20-19.9 to 2.4.20-24.9 (RH 9x) and no load spikes. Also just did an upgrade to WHM 8.5.4 cPanel 8.5.5-E27 (I only use Edge) and proftpd is upgraded to 1.2.9tls-5.

One thing I noticed is that cppop always has to be restarted after a Cpanel update. Jumps right up to 99% and wont' go down -- without a restart. This has been going on for about a month now, with every upgrade of Edge. Will be fixed one day, I guess. :)

13. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

You should put a ticket in as you might have a lock file that needs to be removed. please email me the ticket # to nick@cpanel.net

14. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Appreciate the interest, Nick, but not that big of a deal -- to me anyway. I'm aware of the situation and takes no time to restart cppop. Besides, if something did lock a file, cause it sure wasn't me, maybe my setup is preventing what's happening to others. :)

15. Myacen

Myacen Well-Known Member

Website Rob we have the same problem with cppop I thought it was an error with enterprise myself.

16. wyatt12

wyatt12 Member

Hi,

These problems started right after we updated kernel. We had already updated proftp to stop the proftp problems. We had so many problems with high loads and boxes locking up, we started using the previous kernel for the time being.

Instead of using Redhat's update, can I just go and grab the latest stable from kernel.org and compile? Will this work on a redhat box?

Has anyone gotten this to work yet? I would imagine this is a wide spread problem...

Wyatt

17. netwrkr

Yes. The only time my boxes use a RH kernel is when they are first installed. Upon first boot a new custom compiled kernel is put together that is specific to the server being built.

I am not seeing -any- load problems with any services.

uname -a
    Linux .securityminded.net 2.4.23-securityminded #1 SMP Sun Dec 7 16:29:31 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

uname -a
    Linux .securityminded.net 2.4.23-securityminded #1 SMP Wed Dec 10 17:07:47 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

18. odoisc

odoisc Member

I to seem to have a problem like this. Box is only a few weeks old, and only been really in use since today.

A 99% mysql load that comes back every few minutes
    and a httpd that changes from 25 tot 50% most of the times

Its not really stopping down my server, but it doesnt look healthy either. Although sometimes it looks like it might just been giving wrong info and evertyhing could in fact be ok.

But I dont find a real solution in this topic ? Is there a way to solve this or not ?

19. netwrkr

Hi,

Can you post some information such as CP version, OS etc?

Thanks.

20. odoisc

odoisc Member

WHM 8.5.4 cPanel 8.5.4-R72
    RedHat 9 - WHM X v2.1.1

this here ?